Looks like no oneโ€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I had installed iOS 9 in my ipad 3 but iPad 3 is not Split-Screen Multitasking. I want Split-Screen Multitasking for iPad 3.

I had installed iOS 9 in my ipad 3 but iPad 3 is not Split-Screen Multitasking. I want Split-Screen Multitasking for iPad 3.

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 10:33 AM

15 replies

Jan 23, 2017 8:12 PM in response to Take13CaresOfSelf

iPad 2, 3, 4, 1st gen iPad Mini ( which is functionally the equivalent of the older iPad 2), iPad Mini 2 and 3 and iPad Air ALL have 3, 4 and 5 year old hardware and RAM limitations that prevent ALL of those models from being unable to support split screen, and all but the iPad Air, Mini 2 and Mini 3 can't support the Slide Over feature, either.

As of iOS 8, older iPad model/users have only been getting the basic, barebones features of each newer iOS version.

Mobile device technology moves at a much faster pace than traditional computer technology.

The much older hardware in older iDevices is, simply, not up to the task and these features would simply slowdown/cripple the older iPads' performance even further.

Apple is DONE with iOS 9.

Older iPads will NOT be getting iOS 10 OR the more advanced features of iOS 9.

Not going to happen!

If you want all of the latest and greatest new and cool iOS features, you will have to consider purchasing the newer iPad Air 2 or iPad Pro or an iPad Mini 4.

Good Luck to you!

Jan 23, 2017 11:26 PM in response to Take13CaresOfSelf

Take13CaresOfSelf wrote:

Can Apple really not make split screen on our iOS 9s, for the iPad 3s, or do they just choose not to?

They probably choose not to, but they might have a very good reason. Technically, it is possible to do a lot of things. Technically, it is possible to make an iPhone do everything a Mac does. Technically, you can connect a compact car to pull a trailer home. But that does not mean any of those are a good idea in reality.

One priority Apple holds very high is the actual experience of a feature. To them it is not enough that it is possible to do it, it must work well in terms of how you experience it. It must be smooth and glitch-free.

Let's say they decided in the test lab they should try allowing split screen on an iPad mini 2 (which is the iPad I actually own), because it is technically possible. But maybe it turns out that because of the older processor and lower RAM, running two applications side by side is very slow and results in a poor experience. If that is what Apple found in testing, that would be one reason they would choose not to do it for underpowered iPads. That it would not be worth it on that hardware. I do not know if that is the reason, but it's the way the thinking works.

I knew the iPad mini 2 could not do Split Screen when I bought it, but I did not want to pay more for an iPad that could do it. I made a decision that Slide Over was good enough for me, for the budget that I had, so I got the iPad mini 2.

Sep 17, 2015 11:43 AM in response to HannahRuth12

No one said "it will come later". Split View is running two apps truly simultaneously and requires more processing power, which only the iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, and iPad mini 4 can do. The older iPads lack the required hardware to perform this. Unless there is a magical way to upgrade the hardware on older iPads (there isn't), you'll have to get a new iPad to use the new Split View feature.

Oct 13, 2015 4:01 AM in response to JermaineFil

JermaineFil wrote:

why didnt they make ios 9 split screen for ipad 2, 3, and ipad mini 2 like whats the problem apple just make it for all the ipads like seriously...

the only reason i upgraded to ios 9 was for the split screen and i didnt get it......

soo sad ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

Because your hardware is too old to support it. It was made very clear in the release notes that split screen multitasking was for the iPad Air2 and above, including the iPad Mini4 and the iPad Pro. Earlier machines simply do not possess the hardware to use it and never will.

Sorry

Pete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.