Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[ios9] Siri & voice dictation not detecting any voice after upgrade to iOS 9

hi guys, I have a little problem here. siri and voice dictation were fine before I updated my iPhone 6 to iOS 9. Now Siri wont work unless I plugged in my earphone. I I can receive phone call and record my voice without any problem without the earphone. It's just Siri and voice dictation won't work at all.

Your help will be very much appreciated, thank you

iPhone 6, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2015 11:39 AM

Same problem here; neither Siri nor dictation in text/notes works. I can record voice memos and hear them perfectly in playback....I can also speak to people via Facetime...The microphone works fine. Everything worked fine until I updated to iOS 9, was hoping 9.0.1 would resolve the issue but NO. It seems that updates seem to cause more issues than they fix.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2015 11:39 AM in response to Jeffrey2530

Same problem here; neither Siri nor dictation in text/notes works. I can record voice memos and hear them perfectly in playback....I can also speak to people via Facetime...The microphone works fine. Everything worked fine until I updated to iOS 9, was hoping 9.0.1 would resolve the issue but NO. It seems that updates seem to cause more issues than they fix.

Sep 25, 2015 11:48 AM in response to Cole Roll

Good to know that I'm not alone here...!! yes, the update didn't fix this problem. I've done some research on this and some people said it is hardware failure from the microphone at the side of the front camera, apparently Siri, voice dictation and facetime is using the microphone beside the front camera. But the weird thing is... Why is it malfunction after the update?

Sep 25, 2015 1:57 PM in response to Jeffrey2530

I am facing exactly the same problem. Why is this happening just after the update? Siry and dictation were working just fine before it. I've read several people have the same problem even with previous versions or iphones. My guess is that the update deactivate this mic for Siri, dictation and front facing videos, my only question is why??? and how can this be solved.

Nov 19, 2015 10:38 PM in response to Jeffrey2530

I am also facing the similar issue for recently bought iPhone 5s, after iOS 9 update the other person is unable to hear me unless I put the headphone or speaker on. This is really frustrating and apple is really loosing the quality for which it is famous day by day. They should maintain the utmost quality for such expensive products.

[ios9] Siri & voice dictation not detecting any voice after upgrade to iOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.