Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS9 upgrade has ruined Apple's Podcast Player

The perfectly serviceable Apple podcast player has been ruined by the upgrade. The on-the-go facility has gone, replaced by a less useful, less stable and less intuitive 'up-next' function. It's more difficult to edit, and less easy to scrutinise (for example, it doesn't show the length of the stacked list). The 'up-next' list is lost if you accidentally launch an episode that's not on your list, and there's much too much text accompanying the episodes (I thought that was what the i button was for).

If you are a podcast user, save yourself a lot of hassle and DON'T INSTALL iOS 9 until the inevitable patch comes out. That this was allowed to be published suggests tApple's design genius doesn't extend to its own software.

iPhone 6, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 1:18 PM

21 replies

Oct 16, 2017 4:13 PM in response to Iwd1959

lwd1959, I'm not trying to pull your chain, but if you have any How To questions, perhaps the quick guide below can help. There are also a few more references at the end. Whether we like the iOS 11 Podcasts app or not, it is the one have for now.

iOS 11 Podcasts App – Simpler, but a Major Departure from iOS 10

The iOS 11 Podcasts App took a major step toward simplicity over previous versions, however, after first introducing Stations as a replacement for iTunes Playlists with iOS 10, it now forces a manual transition to Stations since iTunes Playlists no longer appear in the app. It also only permits Autoplay within Stations, introduces the term Shows and eliminates the Mark As Played feature for an individual podcast Episode or a selected group of Episodes.

To move around the app, one needs to understand three terms:

• Episode – a single event of a Show such as a single evening’s recording of the PBS NewsHour.
  • Show – a podcast subscription, such as the daily PBS NewsHour.
  • Station – a collection of Shows in whatever grouping you choose such as News

PODCASTS APP SETTINGS

It is wise to choose your preferences in iPhone>Settings>Podcasts before you subscribe to several Shows as those preferences will be the defaults for each Show. You can also change preferences for a particular Show, such as the PBS NewsHour by going to Library>Shows>PBS NewsHour, clicking the blue three-dot icon to the right of the Show’s name, then choosing Settings.

Note you can choose to download Only New Episodes as they become available, All Unplayed Episodes or none, should you choose to review an Episode’s title in Available Episodes on its Show’s screen before downloading it. You can also choose to keep played Episodes, should you wish to listen to them repeatedly, or delete them automatically once heard. Played Episodes remain on your device for 24 hours after being played, though the titles remain in Available Episodes on the Shows screen. A previous Episode, if still available, can be downloaded again by clicking the plus sign to the right of its title.

Below are my settings preferences for the Podcasts App (left), Stations (center) and Shows (right), which might be a handy starting point, if you have questions or problems.

User uploaded file

SUBSCRIBING TO A SHOW

You can subscribe to a Show using the search icon at the bottom of the app or through iTunes. You can also choose to download a single Episode rather than to subscribe to all future Episodes of a Show.

CREATING A STATION

Stations can be created, named and edited in the app at Library>Edit (upper right)>New Station or in iTunes. Shows can be added to a Station or removed by opening the Station in the Library screen and choosing Edit (upper right)>Settings>Choose Podcasts, then placing (or removing). a check mark to the right of the Show. A Station’s Shows can also be added or removed in iTunes.

AUTOPLAY

Episodes can only be Autoplayed within a Station; not in Listen Now, on a Show’s screen or in the Episodes list in the Library screen. Simply open a Station in the Library and click the top Episode. The remaining Episodes will play in sequence. In each Station’s settings you can designate whether the Episodes are sorted and played from oldest to newest, the reverse or manually. Episodes not fully downloaded can be streamed when on Wifi, however, Autoplay will stop at the Episode, if only on mobile data, regardless of the Podcasts App settings for mobile data.

SLEEP TIMER

While playing an episode tap the Play Bar at the bottom of the screen. You will see the horizontal Play progress bar and the Sleep Timer right under it.

SIRI

Siri enhances convenience and SAFETY, particularly when driving or walking quickly. For example just say “Play xxx Station in Podcasts” to have Siri open the app and Autoplay available Episodes in a Station.

REMOVING AN EPISODE

To remove an Episode from a Station, Episodes or Listen Now simply swish it to the left. It will no longer be in the list, however, it can be retrieved in Available Episodes on its Show page.

SYNC WITH ITUNES

As you transition to the iOS 11 Podcasts app, there may be some glitches when you first sync with iTunes. The best solution is to clean up iTunes after syncing by correcting mismatches. From then on syncing should be more accurate.

HELP REFERENCES

Oct 16, 2017 3:44 PM in response to Iwd1959

I hope whomever is responsible for those ludicrous changes regularly trawls these forums to see the outrage of the people who regularly use the Podcasts App - and the absolute confusion and frustration they've caused. You have ruined one of the only redeeming qualities of the Iphone - be warned - if you mess with Notes - we might have to start seeing other people.

Sep 30, 2015 1:54 PM in response to Iwd1959

SUPER DUMB!!

I used "On The Go" playlist to mark all of my downloaded Podcasts. Now I have to scan all of my subscribed channels and look for the downloaded icon for each episode to delete them. I don't remember all of the episodes I downloaded, and any missed episodes will live on my phone forever until I hunt them down individually in the sea of podcasts from my subscribed list... DUMB!!!! Thanks for the update, and I can even delete the app either. Fantastic!!!

Sep 30, 2015 4:41 PM in response to Chinahoho

A couple of options for finding unplayed, and getting rid of played:

• For getting rid of played episodes: Go to the iPhone's Settings, scroll down to Podcasts, and toggle "Delete Played Episodes" to on. Any played episodes should be erased after 24 hours. (I assume they're not deleted if you try to save the episode, but if you want to keep a podcast, I strongly recommend saving it to your computer and changing the media kind to Audiobook.)
  • For finding unplayed episodes: in the "My Podcast" tab, press "+" in the upper left corner to make a station, and set the station up to include everything you've got, with "Unplayed Only" toggled to on. Also make sure you include all podcasts, and "Include / Episodes / All Episodes."

Those should take care of your two main complaints - now the phone will delete all played episodes, and any unplayed ones should appear in the a single station.

Oct 2, 2015 6:58 PM in response to mishka_53

I totally agree. Please Tim Cook roll this horrible app back - you don't even have to apologize for this unintuitive mess with all this useless swiping & layering just to play an episode. Please give us On-the-Go back; I can no longer listen to a few episodes together in a "playlist" like I used to. I can't imagine if the designer/developer of this horrible version even subscribes or listens to a Podcasts!

As I stated in other threads, if you are frustrated with what Apple has done with the Podcast App in iOS 9, especially with the removal of "On-the-Go"" for example, as everyone else is on this community forum, then please write a response to Apple. You can do this as follows:

• Select "Support" on Apple's main webpage. Then scroll down to "More Products"
  • Select "iOS Apps" and select "Podcasts".
  • Select "Podcasts app for iOS: Organizing your podcasts with stations"
  • Scroll down / read the instructions titled "Use On-The-Go" which were obviously written for iOS 8 (and hasn't even been updated)
  • Now scroll down to "Helpful - Yes//No" at the bottom of page.
  • Select "NO" and send a reply where it says, "Thanks - please tell us how to help you better"
  • Let them know (politely) how this support page no longer applies and how you feel about the Podcast app update in iOS 9.

Maybe if enough of us write a reply, Apple might hear us so they will update the App or roll it back. As for now, I'm going to start using Overcast.

iOS9 upgrade has ruined Apple's Podcast Player

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.