Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Phone App" itself not working after upgraded to iOS9

I have upgraded my iPhone 6 to iOS 9 yesterday and after doing that my "Phone" app is not working. Once I click on it, it opens up however nothing happens, I cannot click on Recents, Favourites or anything, it just hangs.

I restored the phone and tried all steps and it is quite frustrating now.

If I type or search any name in contacts from General Search it all works normally.

Please help!

iPhone 6, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 1:46 PM

22 replies

Sep 18, 2015 5:50 AM in response to sukhmeet12

I would try these steps:

* Force restart of phone app Force an app to close in iOS - Apple Support

* Restart iPhone

(Make a backup before next steps) How to back up your devices using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support

* Force restart (Hold power button and home button at the same time until reboot)

* Update iPhone

* Reset all settings General > Settings > Reset

* Restore iPhone Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

* Restore without backup

* Put iPhone into recovery mode If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

* Make genius appointment or contact Apple support

Sep 19, 2015 12:51 AM in response to sukhmeet12

I think i found the solution for my problem: when i set the keyboard layout to "german(austria)", which is a new layout since ios9, then the phone button crashes. after setting back to the previously used keyboard "german(germany)", and after a restart and a little bit of using the phone, the button works again.

there are also some visual glitches with the new keyboard enabled, seems to be verry buggy ....

maybe you're using a different keyboard too?

Sep 19, 2015 7:35 AM in response to sukhmeet12

Have you tried to reset settings from Settings > General > Reset?

If it works without the backup you could also manually back up your content. Start by backing up photos, videos, iTunes purchases, contacts and any other data you might want to save then do a clean ios instalation with no backup and manually transfer the data back to your iPhone.

Another way is to use a third party program that extracts data from your backup just make sure you use a reliable program from a reliable source. And back up your backup! This article might come in handy for you:

How to Transfer App Data and Game Saves from One iOS Device to Another

"Phone App" itself not working after upgraded to iOS9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.