Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight "Number of items" works while re-indexing only

I have a 4GB Seagate external HDD which I’ve nearly filled with files. I recently was asked to provide photos of events I’ve taken over the past dozen years of an organization for a special presentation. In 10.9.5 (Mavericks) using the Finder I was able to locate about 80 GB of photos (out of hundreds of GB of photos) for the presentation but I wanted to use Spotlight to help me find even more but I have a problem. When I select Kind is “Folders” I get about 37,000 folders located and when I add the filtering criteria “Number of items” as soon as I enter a value into the text box there are no folders visible that meet the criteria regardless the number or the Boolean operation. So I forced Spotlight to re-index the HDD and while it was updating the index Spotlight functioned correctly (I could use the Find command to display folders with “Number of items” “greater than” X) so I left it alone to run for most of a day to complete the task. When it finished, it no longer could filter the 37,000+ folders by “Number of items” again.

Any ideas what the problem is and how to solve it (does this work correctly in 10.8 or 10.10?) or how to devise a work around using the terminal window?

TIA.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 2:38 PM

2 replies

Oct 6, 2015 8:04 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric,

Thanks for the suggestion. I was unfamiliar with the EasyFind application so now I have a new tool.

Regarding my original problem, I re-indexed the external HDD again while running OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" and I had the same experience as I had with OS X 10.9 "Mavericks". Yesterday I installed OS X 10.11 "El Capitan" and though I didn't try re-indexing, I had the same experience, again. Then I tried running OS X v10.8 "Mountain Lion" and the Finder filters worked perfectly and I didn't even re-index again! Very curious!

Last year I had a problem with an external HDD that with OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" I couldn't get it to mount after I decrypted it but with OS X v10.8 "Mountain Lion" I could. I don't think I'll ever delete that OS X v10.8 "Mountain Lion" partition since it seems to function when the newer OS X's don't!!

Mountain Lion can mount an external HDD but Mavericks can't

Spotlight "Number of items" works while re-indexing only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.