Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Viking OSX and PeterBries -Need your help

Hello resident experts,

I have an issue. I have an older MacBook that was running Yosemite 10.10.5. I had iWork 09 on the computer that worked seamlessly-even better than on OS X Mountain Lion (speed wise). I now have a new MacBook Pro running 10.10.5. However, when I I tried to install iWork 09 on the new MacBook Pro, the applications failed to open. A little background. First, I have the install disk. Since the new MacBook Pros don't have a CD/DVD drive, I shared the drive on the old MacBook to install the iWork 09 disk. It worked-as in- it installed on the new MacBook Pro-but would not open the applications. Before you say it, yes-I did update it to the iWork 4.3. At that point, I thought it would work without a hitch. I was wrong. So, after trying to remove the applications and reinstall them as a clean install-it still failed to open. The applications would bounce once in the dock and stop. Trying to open a new file, blank or template, would result in a hang and spinning rainbow. So my next thought was to use Migration Assistant. This produced the same results. The applications would install but failed to launch (or open).

The last thing that I can think of is that, since this is a work computer, they have blocked installation. Of course, it wouldn't let me get that far if it did. It seems that the most recent updates/MacBook Pro is preventing the final steps of installation.

Thoughts or recommendations?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 6:21 PM

6 replies

Sep 17, 2015 6:41 PM in response to noaliase

Just to confirm that you installed the retail (not trial) iWork '09 DVD using remote disc to Yosemite, and then applied the Apple iWork Update 9.3 . Without that update, the applications are too old to work on Yosemite. Unless there is some gotcha by using the remote disc feature with the iWork '09 DVD, this sequence should have been sufficient to get the iWork '09 applications working on 10.10.5.

The iWork '09 DVD installs dependent libraries, and special iWork preferences files into system locations. For that reason, the individual applications cannot be copied over from another system — they must be reinstalled from the DVD. See if you cannot borrow a proper external USB DVD player, and directly install the iWork '09 DVD again on Yosemite. Follow it immediately with the iWork Update 9.3 above. You may also need to run Disk Utility and verify/repair permissions on your boot drive — just to cover your bases.

Oct 8, 2015 7:49 PM in response to VikingOSX

Alright Viking,

I tried the external USB CD/DVD drive. It worked as another method to install the software but the end results were the same. Under Applications, I have my iWork 09 folder. I tried to open Pages first. The response: Pages cannot be open. I tried Numbers next. Same result. So then I thought, "Well, what happens if I delete the new versions of iWork and then try to install the '09 versions?" Once again, nothing. I even called Apple Support for guidance-they gave me a list of things to do-all of which I had already tried. Any other thoughts? Could my new MacBook Pro be the culprit? So, after this issue, I put the disk in my old MacBook after deleting the apps so that I could verify that is was not the disk. Wow, to my surprise-it worked flawlessly. So, at the end of the day-it looks like Apple found a way to force crap on us and reduce our paid programs to dust collectors. If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Thanks-as always.

Oct 8, 2015 11:21 PM in response to noaliase

I can't reproduce what is happening to you.

Every model Mac I have access to accepts the iWorks '09 installation, including my iMac 27" c20008 but running Mac OSX 11.0

The most recent would be my eldest son's MacBook which he only replaced recently. I'll ask him if he installed iWork '09 on it.

Have you checked the iWork apps in Finder to check that they are actually the latest v4.3 versions?

Peter

Oct 9, 2015 5:29 AM in response to noaliase

Boot into Safe Boot mode.

1. Shutdown (not restart) your computer
  2. Power on, and immediately press and hold the shift key until you see the horizontal progress bar
  3. A login/password will be displayed in the center of a grey background screen, and Safe Boot will appear in the upper right of the screen.
  4. Between entering your password, and clicking the adjacent continue arrow — press and hold the shift key again, until your Desktop icons have finished painting.
  5. In Finder, press shift+command+G and copy/paste the following into the pop-up dialog:
    ~/Library/Caches
  6. Once you are in this local Library/Caches folder, press command+A to select everything. Right-click on any selected item and choose Move to Trash.

Do not attempt to empty your Trash now

7. Reboot normally
  8. Empty your Trash

We have just removed and rebuilt both your system and local font databases, cleared out some system caches and local caches. If you had a corrupted font database, that might have prevented Pages '09 from working properly, as has been the case in the past.

Launch Pages '09 again from your Applications/iWork '09 folder, or by dragging/dropping that icon to your dock — launch it from your Dock.

Viking OSX and PeterBries -Need your help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.