Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loss of documents after updating to iOS 9

Updated to iOS 9 and lost all spreadsheets in Numbers, all documents in Pages, and all presentations in Keynotes. I don't use iDrive but do use iCloud. If I backup to iCloud will I get my documents back or are they lost forever?

iPad Air Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 4:39 PM

9 replies

Aug 27, 2017 8:18 PM in response to Jd@niel46

My most important spreadsheet on numbers is gone. I have had an ipad since they came out and this has never happened on my first or second one. I just noticed tonight and havent opened that exact spreadsheet in a couple of weeks. I have it on my iphone and ipad and that exact one and no others is missing on both. I have no clue what happened. Is there any way to get it back? Both show they were backed up as recently as yesterday. I am not super familiar with icloud or itunes. Any suggestions very much appreciated, thank you!!

Sep 18, 2015 11:26 AM in response to luvinmc

Thanks for your response but I had declined using iDrive due to backward compatibility limitations. I've been using iCloud for several years. Today I decided to see if backing up to iCloud would restore the missing documents. Unfortunately, it didn't. Luckily, I haven't updated my iPhone and all my missing files are on it. So now I just have to transfer them all to the iPad. Apple messed up on this portion of the upgrade. Maybe they'll get it fixed for the late adopters.

Sep 18, 2015 4:04 PM in response to Jd@niel46

Well, after much worry and fiddling about my documents all just appeared! I'm not sure exactly what worked, but I can tell you what I did: in Pages I asked it to open documents from the cloud, but discovered that didn't work until I upgraded to the cloud drive. Doing that took away the option to retrieve from the cloud, so I clicked on copy from iTunes, and hey presto everything began to appear! Hope that may help someone else.

Jun 9, 2016 7:32 AM in response to Jd@niel46

"I had declined using iDrive due to backward compatibility limitations."

Me too for several months. I have an iMac which has music software which is not compatible with Yosemite. But I updated to iOS 9 last weekend on my iPhone 6 & iPad 3 because I am getting an iPad Air 2 which would have iOS 9 on it and figured I needed to make the transition on my old iOS devices.

"I decided to see if backing up to iCloud would restore the missing documents. Unfortunately, it didn't."

That's right. After the iOS 9.3.2 update all Pages documents were gone on my iPad/iPhone and there was no quick way to bring them back. A big problem since I constantly use Pages.

"Luckily, I haven't updated my iPhone and all my missing files are on it."

I didn't check Pages on my iPhone after I updated my iPad to iOS 9.3.2. So, I also updated my iPhone too to 9.3.2.

So, when I checked Pages after going to 9.3.2, both iPad and iPhone Pages docs were gone. And there was no quick way to get them.

* I surrendered and updated to iCloud Drive on my iPad 3. My iPhone updated to iCloud Drive automatically after the iPad change.

That brought my Pages docs back. That's the good news.

The bad news is;

1. It is a one way process. No way to go back to regular iCloud.

2. Because my iMac is not running Yosemite, Pages no longer syncs between my iPhone and iPad.

So, iCloud Drive got my Pages docs back but iOS Pages syncing is dead (updating gets stuck).

I called Apple Support and they could not fix the problem. Basically an iMac with an older OS with the same Apple ID will stop iOS iCloud Drive Pages syncing on linked iOS devices. Notes works fine but not Pages.

Loss of documents after updating to iOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.