Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9 Siri no longer beeps, just vibrates.

I watched a fair amount of videos to make sure this wasn't the new standard. I knew that the iOS 9 Siri would vibrate when activated, but it no longer makes the double-heaping sound when it starts or stops listening. I made sure my phone isn't on vibrate or silent. I send myself an iMessage and the Tri-tone played properly. I also noticed that I'm not getting sound for notifications from a third party app, Kik, when the banner appears, not even a vibration. I feel this problems are linked. Any idea on how I can at least brony back the double-beeping sound for Siri?

iPhone 6, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 6:02 AM

Yes, I have exactly the same issue. In addition, I had the sounds for my incoming text messages not working. After changing them a few times, they began to work again but the Siri beeps remain disappeared. I get the vibration as you do but no beeps. Most of the time this would be OK but not so hot in the car where you really don't want to look at the screen to see if its activated, not that I recommend car usage anyway.

64 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2015 6:02 AM in response to dani4576

Yes, I have exactly the same issue. In addition, I had the sounds for my incoming text messages not working. After changing them a few times, they began to work again but the Siri beeps remain disappeared. I get the vibration as you do but no beeps. Most of the time this would be OK but not so hot in the car where you really don't want to look at the screen to see if its activated, not that I recommend car usage anyway.

Sep 20, 2015 2:36 PM in response to dani4576

I have exactly the same problem on my iPhone 6 Plus.

No Siri activation beeps after upgrading to iOS 9.

I do not have the problem on my iPad Mini 2.

I do not have the problem on my iPad Air 2.

Currently only on my iPhone.

If I plug in the iPhone to a power source and use "Hey Siri" I get the activation beeps.

This is clearly not by design and is a bug that has been there for months.

As other said, I can get the vibration to work, but not the tones.

Sep 21, 2015 11:12 AM in response to CelticPaddy

If it were by design, I'm certain that:

a) It would be doing it on ALL iPhones, and it is not. Works just fine on most of my client iPhones.

Nothing has changed on my next door neighbor's phone.

b) They would have MENTIONED it.

c) My phone wouldn't have beeped just fine for days after install then suddenly just stopped.

d) They would allow you to turn beeps back on as some of us prefer the audible feedback.

e) The beeps would come back after turning off Hey Siri.

f) This is the behavior that would be experienced if Control with Ring Switch were activated. Yet activating and deactivating that feature doesn't fix it.

Sep 21, 2015 11:18 AM in response to Marvin Price1

It does work on all phones. No, they wouldn't have necessarily mentioned it, there are many new things they didn't mention, like the ability to forward voice mails, etc. You can turn beeps back on in settings. Settings>General>Accessibility>Vibrations. Trust me, it's by design. I don't know why everyone is finding this difficult. If the phone is in your hand and not plugged in or connected to Bluetooth in you car, it vibrates. If it's connected, it beeps.

Sep 21, 2015 11:34 AM in response to CelticPaddy

Ok Mr. Smarty Pants,

You're telling me it works on all iPHones and I'm holding an iPhone 6plus , in my hand, right now, that still beeps just like it always did. Hey Siri is turned on. But none of the vibration stuff is turned on.

I've tested 7 others... SEVEN, they all beep, just like they always did after we did the iOS 9 upgrade.

And....

On my phone I turn on vibrate on silent. Siri makes no noise. I HAVE TO TURN ON VIBRATE ON RING to get the vibration.

BTW, what if I were blind?? How would I have known what was going on?

iOS 9 Siri no longer beeps, just vibrates.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.