Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The iPhone IPhone” cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes.

I have the error message The iPhone IPhone” cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes. All my software is up to date

iPhone 6, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 7:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 6:31 AM

Please post any fix you find, I have exact issue as of this morning, everything up to date version, stuck

14 replies

Sep 18, 2015 12:13 PM in response to Barnett1977

Hi

I had the same thing earlier. I've got an iPhone 4s but also did the ios9 upgrade today. I thought I had the most up to date iTunes as this updated today as well.

After getting nowhere I went to iTunes.com/download and (apparently) downloaded a newer version of iTunes. The iTunes icon is the red and blue music note and now matches the icon on my phone.

I've now got iTunes 12.3.044 64bit as soon as I did that my phone was recognised and have been able to connect.

Hope this helps

Sep 23, 2015 6:58 PM in response to Barnett1977

I have same issue as Barnett. I have iPhone 6 iOS updated OS to 9.0 just yesterday.

I declined to do iCloud again. I cannot sync with the iMac today.

iMac 10.6.9 c2010

iPhone 6 iOS 9.0

All contacts and calendars gone from iPhone.

iTunes new version downloaded...says I need OS 10.8.5.

Software Update says I am up to date.

Planned obsolescence ?

Help ! What are my appointments tomorrow ?

Sep 23, 2015 7:49 PM in response to Barnett1977

Problem PARTIALLY solved by iOS update released today.

Download iOS 9.0.1 on Sept 23.

Calendar and Contacts are back!

But when I plug into iMac to sync, I get the same message "the iPhone cannot be used because..."

The end solution is not at all green...to replace the iMac 10.6.8 "Snow Leopard" with the latest "El Capitan".

I'd be very happy to stay on 10.6.8, but the ROW is dropping support.

Does anyone know how to get iPhone 6 iOS 9.01 to work with iMac 10.6.8 and iTunes 12.3?

Oct 3, 2015 1:04 PM in response to Brucebogtrotter

This morning I upgraded my iphone 5c to IOS 9.0.2 using my G5 10.6.8 and itunes 11.4. No warnings of incompatibilites from itunes of course. After upgrading the phone is no longer compatible with itunes 11.4 as we now know.

"The iphone cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes..."

There is no itunes upgrade beyond 11.4 available for Mac OS 10.6.8

There is no system upgrade beyond 10.6.8 for old machines (or maybe you have lots of 10.6.8 dependent software hardware)

There is no way of reverting back to IOS 8.41 on the phone as Apple have stopped signing that version a few days back.

I talked to three levels of Apple support who all tried hard to find a solution but confirmed that there was no way to fix the problem. They did acknowledge that itunes 11.4 should not allow a fatal upgrade like this without some kind of warning.

I can see no way out of this problem with out new hardware, mac OS, itunes etc unless someone smarter than me hacks an IOS downgrade process.

Very very frustrated to have been stupid enough to accept an upgrade.

phil

Jan 20, 2016 9:03 AM in response to Barnett1977

I had this issue the other day when I got a new Iphone 6s. Also have a macbook thats about 7 years old.

I tried to download the lastest version but it said I already had it (12.2.2) installed but was still getting the message "this iphone can not be used because it requires a newer version of itunes"

After doing some searching I realized that there is a new operating system out, "El Capitain" available for free download on the Mac app store.

After updating the OS (takes about 40 mins) I was finally able to sync my iPhone with my itunes. Problem Solved.

Just wanted to write this post after the fact because all the other solutions did not work for me. If it states you have the latest version of itunes but you are still receiving this message; make sure your operating system is up to date.

The iPhone IPhone” cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.