Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are the advance rewind controls for Podcasts in ios9?

If you are a serious listener of speech content in podcasts do not upgrade to ios9. It appears the advance or rewind controls have been removed. I checked to see if there is an option somewhere to make it show, but nothing in settings. Unfortunately I do not have a good backup nor the will to go back. I am looking now for other podcast apps that still have this feature. When driving it is difficult to hold and slide left or right. For long episodes the slightest move will advance minutes instead of seconds. It was so easy to tap left or right without even looking. Very often I like to hear again certain passages, tapping left a couple of times was quite easy during commute. I find the decision to remove such useful feature very disappointing. I am trying now Overcast but it is not the same. What a shame.

iPhone 6, iOS 9, Podcasts app

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 7:02 PM

35 replies

Nov 25, 2017 5:34 PM in response to iondeclev

Aha! I was convinced it was a conspiracy to F with the functionality of another ipad app to make it less user friendly and, I dunno, more lucrative - nope! Just a glitch. I wonder why there isn’t a slider on the play bar.... Maybe so you don’t accidentally lose your place with random gestures? This question aside, I’ve found it kind of crazy how my ipad is so limited when it comes to playing with other droids. It doesn’t like anything old-school, especially older Macs. I dissaprove, but whatever... hey, I got an Apple Pencil, finally! So I kind of have a portable Cintiq screen - which is a BILLION (billions and billions) times better than my MacBook and wacom tablet. The iPad Pro is amazing... for drawing. It’s not as functional as a computer - even though it’s got more guts than my old-school Mac that can do EVERYTHING which, as I mentioned, is locked out of the loop because its old (It’s 2017 and our tech isn’t smart enough to include it’s ancestors in the conversation?/! Wha? I’m no programer but that smells like a lucrative business decision and not a logistical/engineering one). Ha! Well, what do I know? We’ve got to live in this world - and here we have all we need to make it better, at our fingertips. It’s a great time to be alive. Thanks for answering my question! Thanks for the Apple Pencil!

Sep 18, 2015 6:59 AM in response to iondeclev

Here's the true solution to the problem. This is silly really, but here's the story:

- go to http://help.apple.com/iphone/9/#/

- select Podcasts then click on Control Playback

- notice that the screen shot provided DOES have the skip forward and backward icons

http://help.apple.com/iphone/9/en.lproj/Art/PODCST_playback.png

Now go to your Podcasts where the icons are missing. Ignore the missing icons and just tap as always where the icons should appear.

You will find out that the functionality is there, just not the icons.

This is likely an issue due to your ZOOMED setting for Display and Brightness.

I am happy the functionality is there, that's all I care for.

Sep 18, 2015 3:12 PM in response to iondeclev

As a huge podcast fan I was initially horrified by what appears to be the missing bump controls. It's not as bad as it seems. Assuming you have it enabled they are on the lock screen like in IOS8. If you are in the podcast app they do appear to be missing. However if you swipe up from the new white control bar at the bottom you get the old style podcast screen which indeed has the skip controls. It's an arguably redundant additional step but the controls are there if buried.

User uploaded file User uploaded file

Sep 20, 2015 1:16 PM in response to iondeclev

You are correct that the controls are there even when not visible. I didnt see zoom in display and brightness. I did see text size. I tried decreasing this as much as possible. But the icons never were displayed. The interesting thing is I don't see the icons on my iPad or my iPhone. They also don't display on my wife's iPhone. I can't imagine we have any unusual settings. The icons do display on the lock screen.

Sep 21, 2015 3:29 PM in response to thinkjudd

For me, the controls are not only invisible but they DO NOT EXIST. (Yes, I'm shouting, this is extremely frustrating.)

When I view a video podcast in landscape mode, they appear and function, but on my iPhone 5, in portrait mode, they simply do not exist and I am completely unable to either rewind nor fast forward. The speed control exists and the 15-second increment/decrement controls exist and work, but not the REW/FF controls. When people refer to the display and brightness controls that might affect it, what are you referring to? I don't think that it would help me in my case regardless since there's no functionality there, but I'm willing to entertain any suggestions. BTW, my brightness is set to maximum with Auto-Brightness turned off. Toggling it on does not help (it just makes the screen dark).

Sep 21, 2015 3:54 PM in response to iondeclev

iondeclev,

You stated

notice that the screen shot provided DOES have the skip forward and backward icons

But when I look on the image you pointed to (http://help.apple.com/iphone/9/en.lproj/Art/PODCST_playback.png) I do NOT see any fast forward/rewind buttons. I only see labels (and associated icons) for

Tap to see more info.

Playhead (which allows you to drag the play location to somewhere else in the podcast ... a very crude control for long podcasts).

Tap to speed up or slow down.

Up Next

Volume

Sleep timer.

Where in that image are you seeing fast forward / rewind buttons ???

Oct 1, 2015 6:01 PM in response to Pageet

jtien512 and Pageet,

What did you find that helped you? I still don't have anything, even after the 9.01 update. Yes, I have the 15-second forward/backward button, and I have the speed change (1x, 1.5x, 2x, 0.5x), but I still do NOT have the fast forward/reverse buttons, which also function as the next/previous chapter buttons.

Oct 1, 2015 7:57 PM in response to bill trig

I think there's a bit of confusion between two ways to go forward and back:

1. The 15 second jump, forwards or back: this one, I still see.
  2. The older arrows that jumped to the beginning of the track (and then to the previous track), or to the next track. These buttons just skipped the current podcast. (Did they also "scrub" the podcast if you held the button? I never tried that.) I no longer see these buttons on my iPhone 5.

Note that, if you're listening with headphones that have a button, pressing the button twice does still have the "jump to next track" function; maybe pressing the button three times still has the "jump to beginning of track" function, but I haven't tried that. But that's probably not going to be helpful if you're using the iPhone in a car.

Oct 2, 2015 5:14 AM in response to Lost in Asia

BaristoSan,

There used to be buttons with double-triangles that -- when you held them down and kept them down -- functioned as fast forward and reverse. In fast forward mode, it moved the podcast forward continuously at about a 10x rate (I'm guessing about the rate). And for (long) podcasts that were broken up into chapters, tapping those buttons would jump to the next "chapter" or to the beginning of the current chapter.

Now, when viewing a video podcast in landscape mode, I still see those buttons. But a video podcast in portrait mode (which really means a tiny screen with information in the bottom half of the screen) and ALL audio podcasts no longer have those buttons.

FWIW, I have an iPhone 5.

Oct 2, 2015 6:31 AM in response to bill trig

I can't speak to what the controls look like when playing a video (I don't have any video podcasts). But when playing an audio podcast, on the "My podcasts" screen, the title of the podcast appears in a banner at the bottom of the screen. Try tapping that. It brings back the advanced audio controls. This is the picture from thinkjudd that helped me:

User uploaded file

Oct 2, 2015 6:56 AM in response to jtien512

jtien512,

I am fully aware of those advanced controls ... I figured that out within a couple of seconds of trying my first podcast after the iOS9 update. However, within those advanced controls, there used to be two additional controls that provided the functionality that I keep describing. You're not the first person on this thread to point out how to get to the "advanced" controls ... that is absolutely not my issue. My issue is that the advanced audio controls are no longer nearly as "advanced" as they used to be ... they're missing two very important (to me) controls that previously existed.

Where are the advance rewind controls for Podcasts in ios9?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.