Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow on-screen keyboard typing in Pages with ios 9, ipad air

G'day

I recently updated the OS in my ipad air to ios 9. I love the new font and and other improvements. However, I have experienced that typing in pages is incredibly slow. (i havent experienced keyboard problems elsewhere so far.) The problem is that only about one keystroke per second is registered no matter how fast I type.

I would love to hear if anyone else has experienced the same problem, and how it might be fixed.

Cheers

iPad Air, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 10:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 2:29 AM

This issue is now resolved 🙂

There was an update to the Pages app. I updated the Pages app, and now the keyboard is working fine, like before, with no problems!!

kiaora

7 replies

Apr 12, 2016 11:55 PM in response to RainbowWeaving

For me, the problem is not with the iPad, at least not my iPad 3, although I have experienced for years the lag between clicking the keys and the characters appearing on my iPad screen in the Pages iOS app, currently ver 2.6.1 on iOS 9.3.1 (and with iOS 7 and 8 and prior versions of the Pages app), like everyone else who has reported the frustrating, incredibly bad lag. No amount of memory clearing and reboots solve the problem for longer than a few minutes, if at all. The solution? Don't use the Pages app. The Pages app is faulty. When I use the MS Word iOS app, ver 1.2, my keystrokes appear instantly on the iPad 3 screen, without any delay. After using Pages, using Word is like witnessing magic. All the frustrations fade away. The problem isn't the hardware or even iOS 7, 8 or 9. It's not your iPad or keyboard or the Bluetooth connection. It's the Pages app, even the latest version (and virtually every prior version). I don't have a dog in the hunt between MS, Apple, or any other tech company. Other word processing apps may work just as well as MS Word on an iPad 3 with iOS 9. I'm just telling you how to solve your key lag problem without spending a dime. Word. (all puns intended)

Keywords: lag, keystroke, delay, characters, screen, iPad, keyboard, typing, iOS Pages app, MS Word, hitting keys, time, seconds, slow, crawl, trail, limp, hobble, inch, plod, hang, wait, showstopper, hold-up, make coffee, watch grass grow or paint dry or water boil, die, eternity,

Apr 29, 2016 3:18 AM in response to MusicLover et al

My Pages experience is this: when I first open a document on my iPad, typing is fine, no lag. If I switch to another app or the iPad times out, when I return to Pages the keyboard lag is so bad as to be unusable. Re-opening the document cures the problem until the next time the Pages app loses focus. I began to look at an alternative and tried IA Writer. I exported a test document from IA Writer to Pages and found that this document worked fine in Pages, no lag no matter how often I left the app and returned. I then tried with another file type by creating a .docx version of a pages document on my macbook (I'm using iCloud) and when I opened this in Pages on my ipad, it worked fine, so I'm using this workround to write on my iPad with no keyboard lag.

I've posted this problem in several forums in the forlorn hope that someone in Apple will give a monkey's and fix this long-standing issue. That Apple's word processor can handle other document formats but not it's own is a very poor reflection on the developers and testers. This is the kind of sloppy software you might expect from a start-up that is not going to make it or a successful company in decline. Apple is making huge profits every quarter so there is no excuse for not putting in the resources needed to fix this, unless it is simply the case that Apple doesn't give s**t.

Slow on-screen keyboard typing in Pages with ios 9, ipad air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.