Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 could not update the computer's boot configuration

Hi guys,

I just got a new MBPr -Mid 2014 (i7 2.5GHz, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.5.5) and I'm trying to install Windows 10 Pro 64bit through Bootcamp without any success.

I have done many Bootcamp installations before and never had a problem until now.

Here's the steps and the issue I'm encountering:

I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft.

Inserted an 8GB USB 3.0 drive.

Start Bootcamp and selected all 3 options: Create USB disk, download drivers and install Windows.

After the first 2 options are complete, it asks to select size of partition and I select an 160GB size partition.

OSX reboots and Windows installation starts fine.

I format the FAT32 BOOTCAMP partition to NTFS and windows setup starts to copy files from USB drive.

After successful windows setup steps (see first pic), the last step before rebooting (finishing up) gives me the following error: "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed." (see second pic).

I reboot to OSX, delete partition through Bootcamp and have tried 4 time with the same results. I even downloaded the windows ISO again to discard the possibility of a corrupted image.

BTW, this is the first time that I've encrypted the HD using FileVault on a Mac. Could that be the issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Marc

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Mid 2014, i7-2.5GHz, 512SSD, 16RAM

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 8:37 PM

13 replies

Jan 21, 2016 6:50 AM in response to Loner T

hello, Loner T...my Macbook Pro is late 2011, i7 2,2Ghz, HDD 512Gb, 8Gb RAM and runs on El Capitan now. I have used a USB 2.0 for BOOTCAMP but nothing seems to work. I have partitioned the HDD in Recovery Mode, I have made 100Gb free space for the Windows using FAT32, ExFAT with DiskUtility. I tried even to install Windows first, making the whole HDD clean with diskpart command and having a MBR partition table instead of GPT but then I couldn't install OSX on MBR. I can't figure out what am I doing wrong knowing that someone else have done it before.

Jan 21, 2016 12:10 PM in response to Loner T

yes, you're right but I've tried also with windows 8 and windows 8.1....and I got the same error. I didn't know about USB based installation, but I doubt this could be the issue since others got the same error on newer macs. Thanks for telling me, anyway! Much appreciation!😉

...soon I'll have the Windows on DVD I will post it here how did it go!

Feb 14, 2016 1:20 PM in response to Loner T

Hello, again!

I just wanna give some brief story to anyone who may concern about what I did lately regarding this topic here.

I have encountered some issues that are very hard for me to explain not being a developer or a programmer or a hacker whatsoever but might give a clue to somebody's else understanding.

I finally manage to install Windows 10 on my MacBook Pro even though it is not officially intended to work and there is some true in it since I couldn't make work all the drivers needed. But what I did is as it follows...

I had clean all my HDD and I installed freshly through the internet boot option the OS X that was made for my MacBook Pro late 2011, which is Mavericks. Having this done in order to install Windows as well I used TUXERA for partitioning the hard drive and making one partition with NTFS, I used rEFIt for having the boot option and in advance of course I made a bootable USB for Windows 8.1. Everything went well. I finally succeeded having one partition of 100Gb for Windows and one partition of 400Gb for OS X on a 500Gb Toshiba HDD. But check this out to see what happened later. I forgot to mention that on Windows 8.1 all the drivers for the Mac worked great until I have updated to Windows 10. And this can be understood if the Apple company says that my Mac is not intended to work on Windows 10.

Anyway, after this I also updated my OS X, first to Yosemite and then to El Capitan. And with that all the problems came back like from where I struggled in the first place. Accepting that I can't work with Windows 10 having this issues: NO control panel for BootCamp / NO FN keys working and the scariest of all was Processor Fan's getting very NOISY and slowing down the system, so accepting this I decided to downgrade to Windows 8.1 where everything was just fine. But now, having El Capitan which I am very pleased with it as a new OS for Mac I can't manage to do this downgrade for Windows. It become so frustrating. I can only start all over again to make it right and I've worked so hard to put all my software I needed on both platforms. If I am trying to install a fresh new copy of Windows under Windows I get a very vague error message like The Instalation Procces Cannot Continue. If I'm trying to install it from a bootable USB I get the same error with MBR partition table, even though it is GPT made with TUXERA and formatted NTFS and even though I am using ReFind now for booting. Why El Capitan does this?! I hope I will not be misunderstood. I know very well what I did with every step I took. And I didn't forget about gdisk and csrutil disable or PRAM reset. But it just don't work and no one seem to come with a solution to tackle this. I don't know but I got the feeling that those guys who introduced this feature called SIP for El Capitan have the answers but who will give it to us....the stupid users?!

Wish you all the best!

Windows 10 could not update the computer's boot configuration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.