Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi Personal Hotspot Not Working Under iOS 9

After upgrading my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 to iOS 9, I am unable to connect my iPad to my iPhone using Personal Hotspot (and vice versa). Both the iPad and iPhone appear on the other device's Personal Hotspots list as a network option but return the following error message when cattempting to connect: "Remote Hotspot Failure, Unable to start personal hotspot "iPhone 6" (or "iPad")".
The Personal Hotspots were working fine prior to upgrading to iOS 9.

I also have an iPhone 5S work phone upgraded to iOS 9 and the strangest thing is that the 5S has no problem connecting to both the iPad and iPhone using Personal Hotspots and vice versa.

Have contacted Apple Support and spoken to a couple of technicians including a Senior Technician which was a waste of time as they have no clue whatsoever.

Anyone else having this issue and has found a fix for the problem?

iPhone 6, iOS 9, iPad Air 2

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 10:11 PM

12 replies

Oct 26, 2015 3:55 PM in response to Jayflux

Wow. Such a simple solution for a problem I've been trying (avoiding) to solve for months. All I had to do was change the name of my iPhone6 and it finally worked.

After purchasing my wifi only iPad Air, I switched to a hotspot plan on Att which cost me my previous unlimited data that I had been trying to hold on to. You can imagine the frustration when I realized the limited data hotspot was useless

Thanks for the post

Wi-Fi Personal Hotspot Not Working Under iOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.