Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is there no English dictionary supported in iOS9 for iPad 3 Safari?

I Just upgraded to iOS9 for my iPad 3 and when I highlight a word on a webpage in Safari and go to DEFINE it....there is NO MEANING FOUND...and when I go to MANAGE.....it is not possible for me to download either of the English dictionaries listed.

This seems like a major flaw. I tried using my Kindle app on this iPad and I can get all sorts of definitions for selected words including translations into other languages.....really slick. Not being able to get a simple, quick definition of a word on a webpage but rather having to copy and paste it into a separate dictionary app which I just downloaded, is a royal pain in the butt. Can this be remedied and is it a bug or what?

Thank you.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 8.3

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 11:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 11:37 PM

P.S. (Original poster here)....This issue goes for the Mail app as well....so I think it would be considered an iPad issue rather than a Safari issue....probably dealing with the apps that come included in the OS.

16 replies

Sep 18, 2015 12:01 AM in response to spinnikin

I love having discussions with myself on these forums.....especially when I find my own solution to the very problem I just posted!!!...... I went to iBooks and tried finding the definition of a word in one of my publications in that app and the dictionaries were both working. So something prompted me to once again....maybe for the 30th time in the past 2 hours....try defining a word in Safari...and behold it works. Both of the American English dictionaries are in the MANAGE section of the definition box. Hallelujah!!! I do think there is a bug in the iOS update.....but I think the solution is to open iBooks and maybe even use the DEFINE option once to kick start it into gear. I hope this revelation can help someone else who has a similar frustration as I did. Now I can relax and get to sleep!!! LOL!

Sep 21, 2015 1:39 PM in response to Doganer

I am so glad this discussion helped! Can anyone now tell me if I am going crazy? After the upgrade to iOS9 on the ipad3…..it seems like the Safari screen is SUPER sensitive….if I just lightly touch something on a page it automatically goes and opens a new page..and sometimes if I use the contextual menu on the right to open a link in a new tab..it opens in a new tab AND opens on the main page I am on….it seems way too sensitive to me…Also…when I am typing it is filling things in and spelling things faster than I can write and not always with the words I would choose to use...I am starting to feel that my computer is thinking much faster than me! How insulting!

Oct 23, 2015 9:09 AM in response to kylelawkc

I just updated the OS on my iPad this morning....and the DEFINE feature seems to be working just fine in Safari.....doesn't work in Notes....but my main use is in Safari and Reader apps. Have you tried turning off the ipad and rebooting? Sometimes that will help. Try looking for the DEFINE feature in other apps that came with the iPad....like iBooks, etc. It seems like it's always something with every uograde. Some things get better and others get worse. I hope you can sort this one out. Good luck!

Oct 24, 2015 8:13 AM in response to spinnikin

Okay! Now I have changed the voice of the speech from Alex to be Samantha – this is the best voice so far – but still not as natural as Alex's

Apple, what's wrong with Alex? Ever since I upgraded from iOS8 to iOS9 then now iOS9.1...Alex's voice speed rate is abnormally fast, can't even be fixed via changing the speed rate!

I used to love using iPhone so much because of the innovative conveniences it brought to us as a consumer

I will still advocate Apple...please bring back the top notch quality assurance that you guys used to have to consumers – as Steve Jobs' times...

Thank you!

Feb 4, 2016 9:37 AM in response to spinnikin

Solved !!!!!!!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

tried these 2 things and worked!!! 1) I went to settings> general >Languages >preferred and deleted and then re added English, British English and us English .

2) opened a website in safari . Pressed and hold on a word to make "define " appear , then deleted all English dictionaries (slide to delete) and reinstalled (press cloud and arrow button) them all! (even those that couldn't be installed before, this time did download! ) now define works and shows also English translation !

I Also did restart ! From home button ! 😉

Why is there no English dictionary supported in iOS9 for iPad 3 Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.