Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

phone not charging after update to ios 9.

Just had a pop up message to get the new ios 9 and without hesitation i clicked yes and half way through my phone battery died now although the phone says charger connected the phone will not turn on or charge. HELP !!
( iphone 5s 16gb)

iPhone 5s, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 2:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 9:36 AM

I had the same problem with both my iPhone 5C and iPad Mini 2.

I have been using a non-Apple USB to Lightning charging/synch cord. It starts charging but stops within a fraction of a second.

I tried an official Apple cord and it charged both devices without any problems.

I suggest iOS 9 may be detecting non-genuine cords and stopping charging.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2015 9:36 AM in response to shaun18croucher

I had the same problem with both my iPhone 5C and iPad Mini 2.

I have been using a non-Apple USB to Lightning charging/synch cord. It starts charging but stops within a fraction of a second.

I tried an official Apple cord and it charged both devices without any problems.

I suggest iOS 9 may be detecting non-genuine cords and stopping charging.

Sep 22, 2015 9:56 AM in response to foto2021

I put my phone into recovery mode (conected a sub to my phone and laptop then pressed power and menu button for 10secs then released the power butted but kept down menu button) then factory restored my phone. This fixed the issues of the phone not turning on but as you pointed out the charger (non official) take so much longer to charge if at all. I wouldn't mind buying official chargers if they lasted but they break after a month or 2.

Oct 9, 2015 10:43 AM in response to -tara-

I just did the update yesterday and I completely regret it! My iphone 5 started doing the same thing and the only time it charges is if it is left on the charger COMPLETELY off and even then it does not show that it is charging. I have already restored the phone and it still does not work. I cannot even connect it to my itunes to try and downgrade from my computer. If this does not get resolved, my whole family will be staying away from Apple products!!!

Oct 20, 2015 5:19 AM in response to shaun18croucher

That is exactly what is happening and its absolutely outrageous conduct by Apple. I guess there is no real difference between Apple and the rest of corporate America, they just have a really good branding team that make cool commercials. Then exploit the workers in China and could care less about the consumer. Some executive at Apple figured out that they could increase they're profits by .01% if they made everyone have to buy a new charging cable. Congratulations! hope he or she got a big bonus for that one. Hmmm have an upgrade coming soon. Maybe a Galaxy or, and I can't believe I'm saying this, a windows phone.

phone not charging after update to ios 9.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.