Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios9 slide to upgrade lock problem - fix!!!

1. If you have ios7 DO NOT upgrade to ios9 - wait for the 9.01

2. If you made that mistake and trusted that after 9th big ios release apple learned something .... Ummm here are the steps to be bit smarter than entire genius organisation:

- unfortunately you have to factory restore your device 😟 ..... So unless you really really need your phone don't do it

- connect via USB to iTunes

- hard reset your phone

- iTunes will connect and as soon as its connected go and click factory reset (if you wait to long it will give you message about find my iphone)

- if all OK it will download ios9 to iTunes

- you can try to buckup your phone too your computer but for me it did not work 😟

- now it will reset your phone and load new system again

Important!!!!!! Once you have "hello" message:

- do not connect to internet

- do not enable GPS

- do not connect to icloud !!

- do not put the pass code !!

Once all done it will take you to home screen and you will be able to use your phone as normal. If you have a backup on your Mac iTunes now you can bring all back.

But remember even once you have your ios9 running do not setup a pass code and do not connect to icloud at any point of time (you can setup email etc via internet). Otherwise it will go back to the loop and you will have to do it all over again 😟

Thanks apple xoxo

Have fun guys and gals

And let's hope for new update 🙂

iPhone 4S, iOS 9, null

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 1:21 AM

30 replies

Sep 18, 2015 1:31 AM in response to Proximity9

This update is bull****! ➖ had some issue yesterday while patching. it however worked after half an hour but unfortunately just

for a while. I am again stucking at the apple progress bar... as soon as my bar hit's 1/6 of it, my i phone 4s immediately restarts and the whole process repeats! i am now trying to patch if for 9 hours without any success...➖

Sep 18, 2015 6:16 AM in response to Proximity9

Does not work. iTunes is of no use. I cannot hard reset as I keep getting to a message saying "Disable Find my iPhone", which I can't as I have no way to access the Phone. iMazing can see the phone and identifies the OS as IOS9. So it is installed. But I and I cannot perform a backup with iMazing.

I guess now I know what it feels like to be infected with ransom ware. Except I cannot pay may way out of this.

The phone is not in my device list in iCloud either so that is no help.

Sep 18, 2015 8:45 AM in response to Proximity9

Unfortunately didn't work for me. I got a glimpse of my old home screen when I got up to the point that I restored my back-up from iTunes.
When I tried to restore my back-up it appeared to load it as good as new but after it showed for a couple of seconds it when back to a black screen with the Apple logo and progress bar. After a few mins the home screen came back round, but again a black screen with a progress bar came back. It did this a few times it got stuck on a black screen and is frozen 😟

So close!! I really thought this was going to work. I have tried so many different options too and I read this and thought it sounded good! Maybe I should try again?

Sep 18, 2015 9:08 AM in response to Proximity9

I had the stuck "Slide to Unlock" problem. I upgraded my wife's phone from iOS7 to iOS9.

In the end I think it was a big problem with having the lock key turned on when updating. I eventually got everything to upgrade fine, but only after about an hour of fiddling with various scenarios. First, the key to getting the iOS9 to finish downloading was to actually plug the iPhone into the computer while holding down the Home button. The computer kept asking me if I wanted to trust the computer and to respond to the iPhone. The iPhone was in the middle of updating. Catch 22. When I plugged in teh iPhone while holding the Home button down, I received my first notice on the phone that the update was complete. I slid the bar. Next a popup came on the screen asking me to "Trust" the computer. I said yes. Once I got to that point, I waited quite a while for my phone to show up in iTunes. Once the phone showed up, I did not get asked to join a network on teh phone, it asked me for my iCloud password to finish setting up the phone.

The biggest problem with the locked sliding bar came only after I joined my network because I was no longer plugged into the computer.

During the update with the iPhone plugged in, there are some major issues with the phone being "LOST" after the update finishes downloading. The phone disappears from iTunes, and all is lost until you unplug. Once you do this, the new iOS update wipes all instances of your phone from the computer and asks you to trust the computer while the phone is still updating which is where I think the problem starts to come about. I eventuall got the phone to show up in iTunes and that is the only time I was able to finish the update. Phone was bricked for about an hour. I have updated 3 devices, and all 3 have gone funny during the update because at the end of the update the phone/ipad disappears from iTunes and cannot reconnect until you unplug it and plug it back in. Pretty bad update process, and basic programming checks should have caught this before releasing it to the public. Sad Apple botches every new iOS release with very poor update processes. I bet the issue is in the new iTunes release. We all know how "AWESOME" iTunes is and how stable it is and how well coded the program has become.

Phone is working. Terrible update process. Expected nothing more from Apple with this hour lost in my life. I never lost any photos, and I was able to upgrade from 7 to 9 in the end without restoring the iPhone. Keep trying to get the iPhone to actually show up in iTUnes and all should be well after that. I used the technique of plugging in the iPhone while holding the home button down. Take it for what it is, a lucky break for me or something that actually works.

I did not have to do anything that the original poster mentioned in his "Fix". I was able to squirm my way through the update without factory restoring. Just a heads up before you wipe your phones. The update can be completed, just takes a lot of fiddling around. My iOS7 to iOS9 update completed without factory restore and without any major iOS8.4.1 downloads to install before iOS9.

Sep 18, 2015 3:40 PM in response to Proximity9

Thanks. Now it works. Finally.

I tried this. Twice. It did not work on my iPhone 5,2. Even removed the SIM. But I could not get past typing a pass code. iTunes insists on it.

If I cancel I get nowhere. So I was still stuck with a useless phone.

Then I tried a third time. Finally figured out the logistics of holding down the home button already as I plugged the phone into the computer, as that would automatically start booting up the phone. Then it worked. Except I got to a point where it asked for it to be unplugged and insertion of the SIM. I did. And had to start all over again.

So the fourth time it seemed to work. Was a bit scared as I have locked the SIM. But I got past entering a SIM pass code. Then the process went as it should. Until it got stuck at "Step 5 of 5" in iTunes with an occasional blinking with a screen asking for settings for Location and iCloud services.

I decided to let it stay plugged in and finally after about an hour and a half it was an iPhone again with all my apps, mail settings and phone data (no music, no movies, no photos as I had backed them up and deleted on the phone to speed up installation originally).

So the big question is. Are there any apps I should avoid?

p.s. I have used apple products since 1991. This i the greatest f*** up I have experienced from Apple. Apple simply cannot have missed this, unless exhibiting gross negligence in final testing. Maybe the beta process made them blind. Next time I will NOT be the crash test dummy. I will wait!

Sep 18, 2015 5:42 PM in response to im_sarah

Remember no passcode and no iCloud!

You can use internet and setup your mailbox.

You can download all apps from app store that have that little cloud on it (so you don't have to put your apple id and password).

If you will try to install new app, it might go to that black screen with apple logo again. It will start blinking but give it 10 minutes or more. Sometimes it will go out from this loop by it self.

Sep 19, 2015 8:32 AM in response to lilith72

^ I second that lilith

Proximity 9 am trying really hard to follow your steps but as soon as I try to hard reset my phone after its connected it doesn't then give me an option for a factory reset , it asks again for the passcode. I just don't know what to do, even went into apple today and after 2 and a half hours the man had it set up for me to just link to itunes and restore the phone but it just happened all over again and keeps getting frozen at that "slide to update" stage. Topperdog I;ve also tried holding down the home button before connecting the phone and that didn't work for me either... Feel I'm at a loss and will be back at Apple again tomorrow

ios9 slide to upgrade lock problem - fix!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.