Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot search email with IOS 9

After upgrading to IOS 9 I am unable to search for historical emails.

iPhone 5, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 3:47 AM

57 replies

Sep 22, 2015 4:50 PM in response to gatoritz

It doesn't work with either of my accounts (outlook exchange and gmail). I deleted and reinstalled the gmail, but still nothing. When I search in spotlight search (by swiping right from the home screen) I can search for (among other things) mail there and I get results, but that's insufficient for searching particular mail folders or when there are a lot of search results.

Sep 23, 2015 5:41 PM in response to SgtBuck

It was happening to me as well: I tried searching from within the email inbox and nothing happened just sat there, no results. I just tried searching again and it now seems to work but its very slow; like it's searching in the cloud and not the local device. I don't see any settings that control the search function. Anyone find any solutions?

Sep 23, 2015 6:44 PM in response to SgtBuck

I'm having the same problem as well since iOS 9. Searching for keywords within mail, on iPad and iPhone, is not working at all for any email addresses I have running there. For my gmail, I can search using the gmail mail app, though as aforementioned not within the native iOS mail app. The only thing that gives me comfort is that isn't just me, though this doesn't help any of us. Thank you for posting this thread.

I cannot search email with IOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.