Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing contacts in spotlight search in iOS 9

I upgraded to ios 9 yesterday, since then I have been having trouble finding most of my contacts using spotlight search, Siri suggestions for contacts also disappeared after seeing it a couple of times. Search will come up with messages and emails for the contact but not the contact card itself. Frustrating.

I'm using iPhone 5S, contacts are synced from google account.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 5:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 7:36 AM

I had the same problem. In my case it was iCloud sync that seemed to cause the problem.

This helped me:

Go to "Settings" ==> "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" ==> Under the heading "Contacts" select "Default account".

I had both Exhange and iCloud available here. iCloud was selected. By changing to Exchange spotlight started to find my contacts. After switching back to iCloud continued to work (at least for the last half hour).

Hope this helps.

/M

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2015 7:36 AM in response to SabryMD

I had the same problem. In my case it was iCloud sync that seemed to cause the problem.

This helped me:

Go to "Settings" ==> "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" ==> Under the heading "Contacts" select "Default account".

I had both Exhange and iCloud available here. iCloud was selected. By changing to Exchange spotlight started to find my contacts. After switching back to iCloud continued to work (at least for the last half hour).

Hope this helps.

/M

Sep 24, 2015 2:19 AM in response to SabryMD

Hello everyone. In my settings under mail, contacts, calendar, under the heading contacts, there is no "default account"

I've had the same problem on my iPhone 5s running iOS 9. The above solution doesn't seem to fix this problem for me. Spotlight worked well before iOS 9. Any other suggestions? I've already tried turning off and on "contacts" under settings, spotlight search

Sep 30, 2015 7:05 AM in response to SabryMD

Hello!

I have the same problem. iOS 9.0.1 installed on iPhone 6, contacts from Google account.

I tried everything pointed in this topic, none worked completely. Disabling Contacts in Spotlight search settings followed by reset of iphone seems to work, but after more testing proved just a partial solution. Some of the contacts appear, but not all. After 2 days of use, no more than 2 contacts appear regardless of name searched. I have around 2400 contacts, so usual names give a lot of hits.

I files a bug report here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Please do the same thing, so we can draw Apple attention on this matter and get it fixed sooner than later.

Best regards

Missing contacts in spotlight search in iOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.