Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contact name missing from text message since iOS 9 upgrade

Contacts are saved but since the iOS 9 update, when I get a text message, no name appears only the telephone number in the notification screen? But I open the text, the name appears at the top, just when initial text notification comes through.

Bizarrely this only happens with a few people in my contact list.

I have tried a soft reset. Network settings reset and a re install of iOS 9.

I have also deleted the contact and re added them.

I have changed the number in the contact page as +44 7xxx xxxxxx, I have also changed it to 07xxx xxxxxx.

Nothing is working.

Is anyone having the same issues and if so are there any workable fixes. This is driving me insane.

I have an iphone 5s 16gb.

Thanks for your help.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 9:02 AM

71 replies

Mar 9, 2017 9:02 AM in response to dj_silvermane

dj_silvermane,

1. tried hard reset (HT201559)

2. tried turning off dial assist (helped with one contact)

3. went to one message that showed a number > tapped on " i " > surprisingly it showed the Name! Clicked on the name > added the international prefix (+1) for the number > save

Messages inbox was then updated > all showed names!

I tried this and it worked on fixing all the names!

Thanks!

Nov 10, 2017 11:41 AM in response to iphone_guy79

Two years later and I ran into this problem on my iPhone 6 (which is 2-3 years old now). Anyways, my phone had a glitch where it was stuck on "searching..." instead of connecting to Verizon. I did a network reset and fixed that issue.

All of my contacts were messed up after, where they were saved but number showed xxxxxxxxxx instead of (xxx)xxx-xxx. Somehow this messed up the recognition in messages.

To fix this I went to settings, general, language and region, switched to Sweden region, clicked continue. Screen loaded for a few seconds. When it came back up I switched back to United States. Free this my numbers were switched back to the correct (xxx)xxx-xxxx

Hopefully this works for anyone else that experiences this later on down the road. I believe this works on Mac also but not sure.

Nov 11, 2017 10:31 AM in response to iphone_guy79

This happened to my ipad. I felt silly trying all these weird "fixes" over months. None worked until now. I went into contact, accounts, and turned on "push". Had tried deleting thread from wife as she kept sending me new ones and I was deleting. All the while the screen kept blinking. It was all old threads getting names put back.

Sep 21, 2015 9:49 AM in response to danicrash

I have just found that the upgrade to iOS9 deleted SOME of my contacts ! its not obvious..... Also in iTunes the variable on the details to Sync page for contacts had been checked as, Sync with Windows contacts and not Outlook ...... again not obvious. I have changed the sync in iTunes and now we are up and running again with all names showing. Hope this helps?

Contact name missing from text message since iOS 9 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.