Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Several issues with Overdrive and IOS 9

I use Overdrive to listen to books. Before IOS 9, Overdrive appeared on the lock screen. When the phone was off, I could press the Home button and select to Play, (now I can't since it's not there). When I got in my car, it automatically started playing via Bluetooth, and the book's information appeared on the radio display. I could use the radio's fast forward and rewind buttons to move to different areas of the book. If a text came in, I could listen to the text, and when it was done Overdrive would start back up where it left off. Same with a phone call. With IOS 9, Music would automatically start playing even when it was never opened on the phone. Even if I physically picked up my phone and selected Play on Overdrive, the Music information would still appear on the display. I've removed all music from the phone and changed it to not Use Cellular. It still doesn't automatically start Overdrive like it did before the update, the book information doesn't display on the screen, and I still can't fast forward or rewind. I can't be stopping along the road to restart a book every time I get a text or a phone call, and it's not safe to do while driving. Please fix that. And please don't tell me it's Overdrive or the car radio, when neither of those have changed, only the IOS. Unfortunately, I was dumb enough that I didn't back up my phone before updating so I can't restore back to when things were working. But if anyone has found out how to make it work like before, I'd love to hear it.

Other annoyances - Apps are slower. The new swipe screen is a pain. It takes several attempts to close apps because they like to move to the side instead of closing. I have to reboot my iPad way more than necessary to get apps to open/reset, though that doesn't seem to be as much of a problem as on the phone. The phone just locks up for a few minutes before deciding you can control it again. The new back button feature isn't all that great. I still have to double tap the home button to get to another opened app. (Really need to take a lesson from Android when it comes to the Back button).

iPhone 6 Plus

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 10:16 AM

8 replies

Sep 23, 2015 5:51 PM in response to Dragonfly17

This was affecting me as well. Every time I stopped a book with headphone button, music would start playing. I could stop the music but to restart Overdrive I had to open up the phone, go to Overdrive app, and hit play on the device. What appears to have fixed the problem for me is to go:

General > Handoff & Suggested Apps > Installed Apps (turn OFF)

It didn't work immediately, but after doing a soft reset of the iPhone, I can stop and restart books from headphone button as before, without music playing, and Overdrive books reappeared on the lock screen when in use.

Sep 28, 2015 7:46 PM in response to jmurp200

jmurp, No, it didn't fix any of it unfortunately.

Jasper, appearing on the lock screen seems to be dependent on other apps running. For instance, sometimes when I have Walk With A Dog running, Overdrive appears on the lock screen. But it isn't consistent either so there's probably another app that's tripping it. And sometimes Overdrive just stops playing for no reason at all. It seems to happen most often at a new chapter, when it reaches the end of the bar, but not always. Still doesn't start automatically in the car any more, even though I've deleted all music to keep that nonsense away.

Because I didn't back up (idiot) before upgrading to ios 9, I've decided I'll just live with all of the annoyances, mostly because I really don't have a choice.

Sep 29, 2015 4:13 PM in response to Dragonfly17

I'm sorry to hear this. Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I may have read somewhere that we might have a couple weeks to downgrade from IOS9 to IOS8??? I have not upgraded yet. After I read the issues you were having, I chose not to upgrade. I tried to contact Overdrive support. Apparently, the support comes from your library (really?) - ugh! They told me everything was working fine for them, but I should probably not upgrade just yet.

When I review bookmarks (and I have IOS 8), I can look at only a few before Overdrive crashes. Also, almost every time I open the book and hope it starts where I left off, it resets itself back to the previous chapter (sometimes it goes back to the very beginning of the book!).

I feel IOS9 has so many great new features (including a daily step count in the Apple health app). The IOS 8 Apple health app only offers a step count by the minute so if I want to know how many steps I took yesterday, I have to add them up myself!

Again, I'm sorry for your issues. I'm not a big fan of change (especially when I lose my favorite features and options). I hope these issues are resolved soon.

Janice

Oct 10, 2015 10:41 AM in response to Dragonfly17

I too listen to audiobooks using Overdrive. After the upgrade to my iPod touch, I have had nothing but problems. The audiobook doesn't show in the locked screen. I listen to my books while walking and if I need to pause the book I have to log in each time to pause the book. I tried up swiping to pause it via the control center but that shows a book I have saved in iBooks or music. The control center doesn't recognize Overdrive any longer. Also, like Dragonfly 17 stated, the book stops at the end of each chapter. I have to unlock, log in and press play each time. If I haven't used Overdrive in a day or so, when I log in and press play, it never starts right up. I have to get it started by tapping my bookmark. The Overdrive website is completely useless. It doesn't address the problem at all.

Dec 2, 2016 5:17 AM in response to Dragonfly17

I am having that exact problem with the latest upgrade. I have deleted the music and still the music app overrides my OverDrive and I cannot listen to books at all anymore while in my car. This is really kind of devastating to me because I do a ton of driving and listen to hundreds of books a year. You said you are dealing with the workarounds but how are you able to get the book to even play at all?

Several issues with Overdrive and IOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.