Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB hotspot

I upgraded to iOS 9 (iPhone 5) and now the USB hotspot does not work. WiFi hotspot connection still works. I would prefer to use the USB so that I can turn off the wifi on the lMBP (10.10.5) and iPhone to save the batteries.

iPhone 5, iOS 9, 32 GB

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 10:07 AM

5 replies

Sep 18, 2015 10:18 AM in response to mediaspace

I upgraded my iPhone to iOS 9 yesterday, and I seem to have the same issue. My MacBook Air (Yosemite) doesn't connect, and the blue ribbon at the top of the iphone screen indicating a working connection doesn't appear.

Would be most grateful for solutions - maybe I just overlooked some detail? - since this is how I connect to the internet.

iphone 5s, iOS 9, 16 GB, MacBook Air mid 2011, Yosemite.

Sep 18, 2015 10:35 AM in response to Martjenko

Same here. 5s, iOS 9, Retina Macbook 10.10.5. Network preferences says cable disconnected or device not responding. Yet iTunes sees the 5s OK and it charges OK. As you saw too, Hotspot works OK over Wi-Fi. My phone contract has unlimited tethering, my wireline ISP is expensive during business hours, so USB tethering is needed to keep my cheapskate cred. With a bit of luck El Cap will fix it.

Oct 10, 2015 11:48 AM in response to element_of_truth

I am experiencing a false "cable unplugged" issue with an "Apple Mobile Device Ethernet" Network Adapter, which is activated by an iPhone3G8GB(iOS4.2.1(8C148)) connected to HP4520s ProBook running W7-Pro(64Bit)-SP1 using Apple's 'EtherNet'-USB cable and Internet Tethering(USB Only) via a cellular data Network.

Set up is showing:

Local Area Connection=Network3; Network cable unplugged; "Apple Mobile Device Ethernet" in Control Panel>Network Connection but the LAC is not appearing as "active network" in "Network & Sharing" and "Apple Mobile Device Ethernet" is not appearing in "Devices and Printers" although in Device Manager = device is working properly.

Tested:

1. iTunes(12.3.0.44) recognised the phone without a problem and "Apple Mobile Device Service" in MMC = running. Checked everything

is ok as per HT204095 (https://support.apple.com/en-za/HT204095 = iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support)

2. Same cable, same USB port, iPhone4-8GB(iOS6.1.3(10B329)), same "Apple Mobile Device Ethernet" results in:

Local Area Connection=Network1; Network1(iPhone_xxx); "Apple Mobile Device Ethernet#2" Internet access; in Control Panel>Network Connection and appearing in "Devices & Printers" as "Apple Mobile Device Ethernet#2" Both devices are using the same "Network Adapter" with the same drivers. The iPhone USB port appears to be in order as iTunes is functioning normally and "file transfer" to and from the iPhone is OK. What could prevent the OS (Win7) from discovering the cable and then reporting the false "cable unplugged" error? Alternately is their a known issue with:

1. Apple Application Support (32-bit) & (64-bit) 4.0.2

2. Apple Mobile Device Support ver. 9.0.0.26

3. Apple Software Update 2.1.4.131

4. Bonjour 3.1.0.1

(Installed with last iTunes(12.3.0.44) Update on 2015-09-21) and iOS4.2.1(8C148) that is running the 3G8GB iPhone I am using that could cause this fault?

USB hotspot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.