Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyway of retrieving missing photos from a phonebook created in iPhoto?

I have recently tried to finish a photo book project which I started earlier this year using iPhoto. Without realising I've obviously updated the software to Photo which has now removed all of the photos from the book leaving me with just the format and text. I have also tried to start a new project using the shared photo stream which is what I used initially and that doesn't seem to be possible now either. I wish Apple would let people know these issues before releasing the new updates as I would have finished my project first before updating OS etc. Any help to try to avoid having to re-create this all over again would be greatly appreciated or any ideas how I can use a shared photo stream for a new project?

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 1:35 PM

2 replies

Sep 18, 2015 2:16 PM in response to Mitzy78

In addition to TD's answer: This document describes, how Photos handles iPhoto Libraries: How Photos handles content and metadata from iPhoto and Aperture - Apple Support

I have also tried to start a new project using the shared photo stream which is what I used initially and that doesn't seem to be possible now either.

Before you can use the photos from a Shared Photo Stream, you have to import them into your Photos Library. Select the photos in the Shared Album, then ctrl-click them, select "Import" from the panel. If the photos have already been imported, you can select them in the Shared album and drag them directly to your Book project - onto the icon of the book in the sidebar.

To reveal the sidebar press the key combination ⌥⌘S.

To finish your book in the original iPhoto library: You need iPhoto 9.6.1 to run iPhoto on MacOS X 10.10.3 or later. If you did not already update to iPhoto 9.6.1, update by reinstalling from the Purchases History at the AppStore:

Barney-15E's user tip explains how to update to iPhoto 9.6.1 by reinstalling your App Store purchase.

See this link: Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS X 10.10.3

Basically, move the incompatible iPhoto version from the Applications folder to the Trash (the application, not your iPhoto Library). Then sign into the AppStore and open the purchases tab. It should now show "Install" to the right of iPhoto.

Anyway of retrieving missing photos from a phonebook created in iPhoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.