Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are some photos black when exporting slideshow in 1080p?

I have made an iPhoto (version 9.6.1) slideshow using the "Vintage Prints" theme of a wedding. I have exported it with no problems and a nice result in HD 720p to iTunes. However, when I try to make another copy in HD 1080p, there are 8 particular pictures that appear black in the exported movie version. I have tried to figure out what is different about these 8 pics, but can't seem to find anything that sets them apart from the others. I tried:

• deleting the 8 pics and re-adding them to the slideshow
  • deleting them and adding versions that I exported from iPhoto as jpg files to my hard drive
  • starting over from the beginning
  • changing the aspect ratio before exporting (none of them work in 1080p)
  • moving the pics to Photos (vs. iPhoto) and making the slideshow and exporting from there (still didn't work)
  • and more I can't remember right now...

Is there any hope of fixing these 8 pictures? I like the 720p version, but the 1080p version is so much nicer in quality for sharing and watching on a computer screen or tv. Removing these 8 pics altogether from the slideshow isn't an option since they are integral details.

Please help!

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Recently updated to Yosemite

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 2:03 PM

6 replies

Sep 19, 2015 1:49 AM in response to léonie

I don't remember exactly if I changed any settings in between exporting the 2 versions. I did at some point attempt to "share" the slideshow from iPhoto on iCloud, as I did with the photo album of the wedding, but couldn't get that to work.

Per your question, I did just try exporting the slideshow again in 720p and all the photos appeared correctly, like the first time.

I also retried making the same slideshow in Photos at 1080p instead of iPhoto, and I was able to make it work this time with all the pictures; however, the photo grouping has been altered in the moving of it to Photos, and I can't seem to override the "Vintage Prints" auto-sorting of the pictures in a way that makes sense chronologically and aesthetically. If I could just get those 8 pics to work in the iPhoto slideshow in 1080p, I would be happy, because the arrangement of the photos is just how I want it! Any help or suggestions you can offer is appreciated. Thanks!

Sep 19, 2015 2:47 AM in response to Nayers90

and I can't seem to override the "Vintage Prints" auto-sorting of the pictures in a way that makes sense chronologically and aesthetically

There is no way to override the automatic grouping.

it would be great, if we had a button to ensure, that the slideshow will not change the order of the photos and not group photos together, that must not be grouped. I prefer the basic themes Classic and Ken Burns, where I can exactly determine the sequence of the slides.

Per your question, I did just try exporting the slideshow again in 720p and all the photos appeared correctly, like the first time.

iPhoto does not seem to be able to process the photos in question. Can you open the photos and edit them and can you export them from iPhoto at a pixel size of 1080 pixels?

Sep 19, 2015 1:11 PM in response to léonie

it would be great, if we had a button to ensure, that the slideshow will not change the order of the photos and not group photos together, that must not be grouped. I prefer the basic themes Classic and Ken Burns, where I can exactly determine the sequence of the slides.

Yes, I agree that it would be ideal to be able to control the order and grouping of the photos. I would use the simpler themes, but I really like the effect of the vintage prints for this wedding compilation. 😕

Can you open the photos and edit them and can you export them from iPhoto at a pixel size of 1080 pixels?

Yes, I can open each of the photos in question while in the iPhoto slideshow and edit them. I tried exporting an individual photo as a jpeg from iPhoto by selecting the "maximum" quality setting and a maximum dimension (w or h depending on whether the pic was portrait or landscape) of 1080. This worked fine and I could open the file, although the size decreased considerably (10.5MB to 2.3MB in the one I tried). I'm not sure if this is what you wanted me to do or if there was a different way to do it. I also tried exporting the 8 problem photos as their own slideshow in 1080p, and 3 of the pics were normal and 5 were still black in the resulting mpeg-4 movie. Hmmm...

Why are some photos black when exporting slideshow in 1080p?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.