Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you Add Contacts to your home Screen?

Can you Add Contacts to your home Screen, just as with bookmarks? Specially for disabled persons, like persons with dementia is important to simplify procedures as much as possible. They will easely be able to call there most important contacts with a single push on 'bookmark' of their contact. Would also be nice when the bookmark is represented by the picture of the contact.

The can reserve a special page on there iPhone to make contact with there favourites without a hassle into the contacts app.

Kind regards

Fred van de Biezen

iPad, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 11:31 PM

No, you didn't got my question. It's not to hide of crop the Contacts app into a folder to gain room for other apps. The question is to select some contacts from the Contacts app, and place them as a bookmark onto your home page. Say, you have 3 super favourite contacts for emergency or so and you want to be able to call them without any hassle. Then you would like to have a bookmark icon on your phone to call directly, or in case of a person with dementia, they want always be able to call directly with a absoluut minimum of starting the contacts app and searching the right person. That is to complicated for those people.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2015 11:31 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

No, you didn't got my question. It's not to hide of crop the Contacts app into a folder to gain room for other apps. The question is to select some contacts from the Contacts app, and place them as a bookmark onto your home page. Say, you have 3 super favourite contacts for emergency or so and you want to be able to call them without any hassle. Then you would like to have a bookmark icon on your phone to call directly, or in case of a person with dementia, they want always be able to call directly with a absoluut minimum of starting the contacts app and searching the right person. That is to complicated for those people.

Sep 19, 2015 5:32 AM in response to FerdinandV

There are apps that will let you do that as I recall. Do an internet search for "add contacts to home screen iPhone) or similar. I've not doubt a name will turn up. They are, as I recall, a bit fussy to set up. They also require an active data connection to work as they are, essentially, book marks to a website that does the dialing. They are, therefore, not always to be relied upon. There are also app that will let you add favorites to the Today screen widets. Quick-Dial is one I use.

However, the easiest way to fail people is using Siri. Press and hold the Home button and say, "Call <name>" Siri also requires a data connection.

Sep 20, 2015 5:51 AM in response to FerdinandV

Again, there are apps that do that for you. I don't remember the names, though.

Here are the instructions to do it yourself. The apps I that I'm remembering made it easier but this should work.

https://snapguide.com/guides/add-speed-dial-to-your-iphone-home-screen/

I found these instructions by typing "put contacts on iPhone home screen" into Google. if these instructions don't work for you, there were others.

Sep 21, 2015 1:28 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Important is that persons always can use there iPhone, even when they have no wifi at the moment they want to call. So it remains better to be able to make a bookmark of some of your contacts and place them in your homescreen. No hassle with other apps is needed then. A clean and clear solution. Hopefully Apple is willing to think about this straight forward solution. Handicapped people need a better user interface.

Sep 21, 2015 5:50 AM in response to FerdinandV

Then you're going to need to search the App Store. I think such things exist but I don't have the time to do the leg work for you.

You can also submit your suggestions to Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Based on my several years experience training new users of phones, mostly over 60, I would say that the iPhone or any smart phone is not a good choice for a user with cognitive impairments, especially if they are coupled with physical impairments. A basic phone with real buttons that can be set to speed dial is usually a better choice.

Jul 9, 2016 1:04 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

"iPhone or any smart phone"

Let me disagree

*ANY* smartphone, except from iPhone will easily let you add to your home screen an icon that will intermediately dial to a pre - selected contact.

For me (85 years old) it's outrageous that such simple features are not added to iPhone... probably just because in some meeting big sharks said "no, that feature is just to much A-OS like.... we are different"

I love my iPhone, but dislike this annoyances...

Jul 9, 2016 9:16 PM in response to NanoChile

NanoChile wrote:

"iPhone or any smart phone"

You have taken my words seriously out of context. The sentence from which you extracted those five words had nothing to do with adding contacts to the home screen. This is what I actually said,

"I would say that the iPhone or any smart phone is not a good choice for a user with cognitive impairments, especially if they are coupled with physical impairments."

I have also worked with a lot of people over sixty, over seventy, eighty or ninety who do just fine with their iPhone and don't get outraged over little things.

Submit your feedback to Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Meanwhile, perhaps you should consider my other suggestions for working around this issue.

Can you Add Contacts to your home Screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.