Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do my Photos Keep duplicating?

My Photos keep duplicating 2 to 8 times the original on my I mac I phone and I pad. I have manually deleted and then emptied deleted photo folder. Some remain deleted some come back over time. I have had this problem sense I bought this i mac 16 months ago. I had over 40,000 pics down to 32,000 needs to be about 16,000. What a pain in the .....

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), iOS 9

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 5:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 7:54 AM

could be one of many, many users errors - since you give us no clue what software you are using, what and how you are doing things and what your set up is there is not way to even make a good guess

One possible way is import ing the same photos multiple times using MyPhotoStream and iTunes Sync and direct import - there are many other ways a user can cause duplicate images

LN

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2015 7:54 AM in response to TroggZombie

could be one of many, many users errors - since you give us no clue what software you are using, what and how you are doing things and what your set up is there is not way to even make a good guess

One possible way is import ing the same photos multiple times using MyPhotoStream and iTunes Sync and direct import - there are many other ways a user can cause duplicate images

LN

Sep 19, 2015 8:05 AM in response to LarryHN

Hi Larry thanks. I'm using Photos and had same problem with I photo. When I set up my I mac I downloaded pictures from an cloud storage because I couldn't get them to transfer from my PC. Apparently I had multiple back ups including many I Phone back ups in the cloud storage, I'm guessing that's where it all started. I have now turned off I Cloud and Photo-stream on all my devices and will delete duplicates on my I Mac. It will take 30 days for all photos to be removed from I Cloud so I will wait to turn it on again. Do you think that will work?

Sep 19, 2015 8:15 AM in response to TroggZombie

Yes if you import multiple copies of the same photo you will have multiple copies - often the do not import duplicates will help with this but it is not perfect

and there are many Cloud services - iCloud Photos Library should not be a factor in having or deleting duplicates - it is your library ad is always an exact mirror of all devices (any change made any Place is made every place) - I'm not clear what iCloud service you were using or what you turned it off - if you are going to use iCloud Photo Library (and I personally do and like it) then use it - it will work but will not help nor hinder the duplicate issue - MyPhotoStream can actually be the cause of duplicates in some cases

LN

Sep 19, 2015 10:45 AM in response to TroggZombie

These applications will identify and help remove duplicate photos from a Photos Library:

PowerPhotos is the iPhoto Library Manager version for Photos and is very powerful. Although more expensive I would recommend it as it has more capabilities than the others and will have added capability in the future.

User uploaded file

Why do my Photos Keep duplicating?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.