Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My podcast feed isn't downloading new episodes for subscribers.

I put out a podcast with a friend three times a week: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/cageclub-nicolas-cage-podcast/id1028051077?m t=2

The episode we posted on Wednesday night and the one I just posted aren't automatically downloading for subscribers. I feel like this has something to do with iOS 9, but I don't know what the problem is there.

The episode we published on Wednesday appears in iTunes (it's episode 020 on the list), but it isn't auto-downloading in iTunes or on iPhone. I know the newest episode won't appear on the podcast list for a little while, but it isn't auto-downloading, either, and it always does that right away.

The RSS feed (http://cageclub.me/rss/CC.xml) appears to be working properly, as I can subscribe in an RSS reader and all the episodes show up. Why aren't episodes auto-downloading to iTunes?

Thanks!

Windows 7, iTunes 11.1.0.126

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 7:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 6:07 AM

You have introduced a fatal error into your feed which is rendering it unreadable to the iTunes application, though the Store is unaffected. The 'title' tag for episode 21 reads

<title>020 Amos & Andrew (1993)</title>

You cannot have an ampersand ('&') by itself in XML as it signifies the start of a code sequence which, as it is never completed, renders the rest of the feed invalid; as that includes the closing tags it makes the whole feed unreadable. You need to replace the ampersand with the code

&amp;

Until recently this would have thrown the Store as well but evidently they've upgraded the coding to handle this problem. However some RSS readers, and iTunes, are sticking to the strict XML specification with the result I described above.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2015 6:07 AM in response to soulpopped

You have introduced a fatal error into your feed which is rendering it unreadable to the iTunes application, though the Store is unaffected. The 'title' tag for episode 21 reads

<title>020 Amos & Andrew (1993)</title>

You cannot have an ampersand ('&') by itself in XML as it signifies the start of a code sequence which, as it is never completed, renders the rest of the feed invalid; as that includes the closing tags it makes the whole feed unreadable. You need to replace the ampersand with the code

&amp;

Until recently this would have thrown the Store as well but evidently they've upgraded the coding to handle this problem. However some RSS readers, and iTunes, are sticking to the strict XML specification with the result I described above.

Nov 12, 2015 5:08 AM in response to soulpopped

I'm having the same issue with my podcast as well after a recent change in hosting sites. https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-podcast-macabre/id1050485726?mt=2

The iTunes store page shows every episode, but the Podcast app shows an empty feed. Every episode I manually download to my phone shows the same posting/creation date of December 31, 2000 at 1600. Thanks in advance for any help in sorting this out.

Nov 12, 2015 6:05 AM in response to Duckman73

Same problem, same solution.

<title>EPISODE 05 - The Podcast Macabre: Remakes & Reboots Part One</title>

You can't have an ampersand by itself in XML - see above.

As to the date issue, the 'pubDate' tags in the feed are perfectly OK so I don't know what that's about, and I'm not in a position to check on an iOS device. Thjs first thing to do would be to get someone else to check it and see whether they have the same issue - you could ask in the iPhone forum.

Dec 1, 2015 8:18 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Hi, I am having the same issue with my podcast. It is showing up in the iTunes store, but not on any subscribers phones. I don't have a & anywhere to my knowledge. I didn't change the feed or any of the information and it hasn't worked for 2 weeks.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/emerge-sales-training/id1041024826

Let me know if there is other information you need from me. Specifically the episodes are #12 and #13. I have another one set for tomorrow morning so we will see if that posts properly. Thanks in advance! Hopefully you can solve my issue as easily as the others. I removed the # sign from Episode 14 which should post overnight. Fingers crossed that might do it.

Tasha

Dec 1, 2015 11:38 PM in response to itstashie

Please refer to the Feedvalidator report for the line numbers:

Line 129: the empty paragraph has an invisible character in it. Other incidences have a non-breaking space, but though it doesn't show in the report there is this odd character (usually this sort of thing is a word processing formatting character resulting from copying the feed from a word processor) which you need to remove.

Line 150 has the same or a similar invisible character at the very start.

These errors are rendering the feed unreadable in some applications including the iTunes Store.

My podcast feed isn't downloading new episodes for subscribers.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.