Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Webfilterproxyd sucking up a lot of bandwith?

I have very recently had the problem where in the middle of using the internet, or not, the connection becomes suddenly very slow for the entire household, and it appears to be my computer. I go into Activity Monitor, and it appears the process webfilterproxyd is sucking all that bandwith up, over half a gigabyte in less than an hour. It goes on and off, and I don't know how to fix it. I have restarted my computer, logged out and back in, etc., and even tried to restart the process. Nothing is working. Why is it taking up my bandwith and how do I fix it?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 5:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2015 5:03 PM

Why can't you turn off parental controls? Are you not the admin of this computer? Are you the reason parental controls are enabled and you are trying to by-pass them? If so, we can not help you.

If you are the computer admin do what has already been suggested or tell us why you can not turn off parental controls.

No I am not the admin of this computer. That is why I cannot turn off parental controls. Believe me, if I could, I would! But

1. Asking that question does not in any way solve my problem

2. I know how to bypass basically anything on a mac easily, it isn't that hard. Boot to Recovery HD, open terminal, resetpassword. And there are other ways too. But I don't want to BYPASS parental controls. I want to stop webfilterproxyd from sucking up 90% of my BANDWITH!

Thank you for "trying" to "help", I guess.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2015 5:03 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Why can't you turn off parental controls? Are you not the admin of this computer? Are you the reason parental controls are enabled and you are trying to by-pass them? If so, we can not help you.

If you are the computer admin do what has already been suggested or tell us why you can not turn off parental controls.

No I am not the admin of this computer. That is why I cannot turn off parental controls. Believe me, if I could, I would! But

1. Asking that question does not in any way solve my problem

2. I know how to bypass basically anything on a mac easily, it isn't that hard. Boot to Recovery HD, open terminal, resetpassword. And there are other ways too. But I don't want to BYPASS parental controls. I want to stop webfilterproxyd from sucking up 90% of my BANDWITH!

Thank you for "trying" to "help", I guess.

Nov 23, 2015 6:52 PM in response to Linc Davis

This does nothing: I realize that it is Parental Controls doing this, but changing its settings does not help whatsoever, and I cannot turn it off. It happens when no applications are open, and even when I am logged out. I also CANNOT turn Parental Controls off (children), and no matter how I change the settings the problem persists. It is making my entire internet completely unusable for my entire household and I really need a solution to this other than re-installing the OS.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Nov 29, 2015 11:14 AM in response to OkThenThanks

OkThenThanks wrote:

Thanks for offering a newer solution, but in my case I CANNOT turn off parental controls.

I realize this is problematic, because that's how to fix it, but I need another way to fix this withOUT turning off or changing parental controls.

Webfilterproxyd sucking up a lot of bandwith?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.