Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad cannot be used because it requires a newer version of itunes

After updating my ipad to IOS 9 I get the following message when running iTunes then connecting my ipad to my Windows 7 PC.

I am running the latest version of iTunes12.1.2.27 (so itunes tells me when I try to update it)

The ipad "..." cannot be used because it requires a newer version of itunes. Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of itunes.

Is anyone else having this problem?

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 8:00 PM

13 replies

Oct 3, 2015 11:16 AM in response to Dendrosteve

Dendrosteve wrote:

Thanks. That solved the problem. Would be nice if Apple showed this update somewhere easier to access or if Itunes new it existed.

Wil you have iTunes automatically check for new versions:Choose EditPreferences ☞ click on Advanced tab, and make sure the Check for new software updates automatically is selected.

Click then on OK.

Last week here on Windows 7 laptop iTunes is updated to version 12.3.0.44

Nov 8, 2015 9:32 PM in response to robaul1

Fantastic, upgrading to iOS9 has made it so that I can no longer use my iPad with my computer. I have an iMac running OSX 10.6.8 with iTunes 11.4. iTunes 12 is not compatible with OSX 10.6.8, and iOS9 is not compatible with iTunes 11.4. This is crazy. Why would you not present a warning when I went to update iOS on the iPad that I shouldn't actually upgrade it because it would no longer work with my computer?

Dec 22, 2015 8:15 AM in response to waytonotify

I also have this problem, running a 2005 iMac on OS X 10.6.8 with iTunes version 11.4 (latest version) that doesn't allow my iPad iOS2 to work with my iMac.

If this cannot be fixed, I will be switching tech from Apple (iMac, iPad, iPhones, iWatch and transitioning to Samsung or something that works well consistently). This really bugs me!

ipad cannot be used because it requires a newer version of itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.