Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Calendar App keeps reversing alert times.

When I set 2 alerts on the calendar, the alert and the second alert keep reversing. For example, if I set the alert to 1 hour before and the second alert to 30 minutes before, the alert changes to 30 minutes before and the second alert changes to 1 hour before. This happens no matter where I set the alerts - on my Mac, iPhone, iPad, or iCloud on the web. A few times both alerts changed to the same time! I keep sending feedback to Apple to no avail. I was hoping this problem would be fixed with IOS 9, but it wasn't. Maybe with El Capitan?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 6:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 6:29 PM

Looks like I found the answer to my own question. It seems that the alert that is closest to the actual time aways shows up first, and the earlier alert is listed second. As confusing as this seems, it doesn't appear to make any difference in the actual alert times, so if the calendar shows the alert time at 30 minutes before and the second alert as 1 hour before, I still get alerted 1 hour before first and then 15 minutes before second.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2015 6:29 PM in response to kohls

Looks like I found the answer to my own question. It seems that the alert that is closest to the actual time aways shows up first, and the earlier alert is listed second. As confusing as this seems, it doesn't appear to make any difference in the actual alert times, so if the calendar shows the alert time at 30 minutes before and the second alert as 1 hour before, I still get alerted 1 hour before first and then 15 minutes before second.

Sep 24, 2015 12:55 PM in response to kohls

I also just figured this out for myself after having the same problem. "Second Alert" should mean the second time you are alerted, not the first time. It is counter-intuitive. Apple should just make both alerts independent of each other, so that neither will change the other automatically, and then people can choose for themselves which should be closest to the event and which the furthest from it.

Jan 5, 2016 11:22 AM in response to kohls

The answer to this question is easy. We have all been assuming that Second Alert was like a snooze button on the alarm. This assumption is causing the problem The "Second" alert is simply an additional alert. The "Alert" entry will always be closest to the appointment. If you set the Second Alert to be closer to the appointment than the first Alert, the app just switches the times. An easy way to remember this is to consider the Second Alert as an "Additional Alert". Why Apple hasn't figured this out I can't say. I spent an hour on the Chat line without getting this description.. Just test it out. You will see it works!

Jan 8, 2016 2:04 PM in response to kohls

Just got off the Chat with support. Below is the cut-and-paste of the 'fix.'

We will need to reset all settings on the phone before continuing.

What Reset All Settings does: Reloads all default settings: forgets your Wi-Fi networks, removes changes to Alert Styles in Notifications, Turns off Locations Services for third-party apps, sets Sounds, Brightness, and Wallpaper back to original configurations, removes Battery Usage statistics, turns off Siri, turns off Cellular Data, disables Wi-Fi sync, sets Auto-lock back to 1 minute, removes added International keyboards, and turns off all Accessibility options.

Sep 26, 2015 12:29 AM in response to kohls

I had this problem too, but it seemed to be that it wasn't reading properly which time I was choosing (as if I might be accidentally pressing the wrong option - big fingers perhaps?). Usually after repeatedly resetting and trying to be very careful which time option I chose, finally it would recognize that I was setting the first alert prior to the second alert. Almost every time I set alerts I would have to repeatedly reset and reset the two alerts until they showed in the right order.

Now I have a new issue. I just updated to iOS9 tonight, and then tried to set an alarm for in the morning. No matter which alert I set for when, both alerts switch to which ever alert I last set. For example, I set the first alert for 2 hrs prior to the time, then set the second alert to 1 hour before, and the first alert will change to 1 hour also. If I change the second alert to 2 hours, the first alert automatically changes to the same time. I have not had this problem before. It apparently will not allow me to set two different alarm times now. I have not yet figured out where I can report this issue.

Apple Calendar App keeps reversing alert times.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.