Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Grey oval with a timer (0:00) over my "compose" box in Messages

I upgraded to iOS 9 some 12+ hours ago. All was well...until moments ago. I have suddenly encountered a very frustrating problem upon reply to messages.

Replying to any message is near impossible because the "enter text" frame used to compose a message is obscured by a grey filled oval with what appears to be a timer i.e. 0:00 at right-hand-side of oval.

I notice many people experiencing same online but I struggle to find solution.

Can you provide a solution to this problem?

iPhone 6, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 10:07 PM

6 replies

Oct 11, 2015 1:44 AM in response to 007_Dan_The_Man

It's a bug in iOS 9. When you try to send message and proximity sensor activate, your phone think your sending audio message and it want to start recording voice. That box is for audio message in iMessage if you saw that before. If you close your message application (from multitask) and open it again it must go.

You can stimulate it by going to message and hold your phone on your ear (do this for 4-5 times) and it comes back again.

✅ ✅ One solution is: Go to Settings > Messages > Activate iMessage (If it's not) > Turn off "Raise to Listen"

Oct 13, 2015 9:51 AM in response to 007_Dan_The_Man

A significant number of people are having that problem since iOS 9. One solution (at least a temporary one) is to quit Messages and then double-click the Home button to open the app switcher. In the app switcher find the Messages app and slide it up to remove it. Then close app switcher by clicking the Home button. That should solve the problem -- for a while at least.

Other solutions that are working for some (at least temporarily) include: restarting the phone, or going to Settings > Messages and toggle either the Show Subject Field or Character Count setting or turn Raise to Listen off.

Grey oval with a timer (0:00) over my "compose" box in Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.