Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9 music sorting options are AWFUL

everything sorts by album artist now which has completely ruined my library's sorting. Why on earth was the option to disable sorting by album artist removed? Seriously, what logic went into the decision? Half my music is classical and I have to totally reorganize everything to fix it - every composer and album has multiple artists listed and it's impossible to find anything now.

Also, what happened to being able to customize your own tabs??? I will never, EVER use the connect tab or the radio tab so why can't I change those to sorting options like before? Instead, everything is cramped into one tab. It's absolutely killing me.

And finally, the recently added thing is totally useless, and it takes up half the screen AND you can't scroll through alphabetically while it's on the screen. And I know what's on my phone, I PUT IT THERE. And organized it too, until that went out the window...

Seriously, this is the most ill-conceived and limiting update.

Incredibly frustrated music geek,

michael

iPhone 6, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 11:21 PM

33 replies

Sep 19, 2015 8:15 AM in response to gail from maine

Not true, unfortunately. The connect tab is still there. I used to use the tabs for artist, album, and song sorting so it's incredibly frustrating that apple has hijacked two tabs and won't let you change them (like they used to). I never listen to the radio anywhere and I get enough advertisement everywhere else as it is so I really don't appreciate two totally useless tabs.

Usually 'sort by artist' does exactly what it says and is supposed to do, but there's supposed to be an option in settings>music where you can adjust whether it sorts by artist or album artist. For some reason, apple has removed this toggle, and only sorts by album artist now - which destroys all of my sorting.

I've sent feedback already but I'm rather pessimistic that they're going to do anything about this...

michael

Sep 19, 2015 8:42 AM in response to Koriolanus

You can sort by:

Artists

Albums

Songs

Genres

Composers

Compilations

or

Music Videos in the My Music view.

Below the "Recently Added" box you will see a Red Description(default is Songs). Click on that and you will see the dropdown with the options indicated above.

If Connect is showing up on the bottom of your display, then that indicates that you either signed up for the 3-month Apple Music trial, or you subscribed to Apple Music. That changes the entire way that your music functions on your device as Apple Music is a streaming service that provides you with access to the entire Apple Music Library. You have to create Playlists to be played offline if you want access to that music when not connected to the Internet:

Apple Music - Manage Your Music - Apple Support

Apple Music FAQ: The ins and outs of Apple's new streaming music service | Macworld

If you are, in fact, using Apple Music, then that may change the way that the My Music screen behaves. I don't know since I do not subscribe to it.

Best of luck,

GB

Sep 20, 2015 3:01 AM in response to gail from maine

Hi gail from maime

You appear to missing the point here. I too have this complaint. I have used apple feedback but that never works but hey I'm just customer. No one important enough to matter, I never even get a reply or acknowledgement I have sent anything.

What Koriolanus is saying, Before (eg in ios 8.3) The music sort selection was on the menu bar at the bottom and you could quickly navigate between lists, (song Album Artist etc) Now in (ios9) if your in "Albums" and you are at the bottom of your list (W for example) you have to scroll all the way to the top to change to Song list. and again if your in songs to go back to Album. Also the "recently added" tab at the top is far too big and you should the option to show or hide it. It takes up 1/3 of the screen.

I also have "Show Apple Music" turned off and my "Connect" tab is still there.

I have Three ipods an ipad and iphone only one is updated to ios9. The rest are still on 8.3 where they will be staying until something changes. I refused to update when they did away with Home Sharing. (good to see that back though)

Bad move on Apple since Steve Jobs died they appear to gone to a rape an pillage, money grabbing attitude to customers rather than this is really cool and its what people want attitude.

A customise menu bar option is all that's needed then you can move connect and radio and replace them with songs or Artist

Duncan

Sep 20, 2015 9:53 AM in response to DuncanBailey

Well, I am just a lowly customer as well, so have no words of wisdom for you on this.

My response was to the OP's statement that the ability to sort by anything other than Artist/Album was "disabled". I was simply enlightening the OP to the fact that is not disabled.

Your point is well taken, and the best way to get something like this changed is by using the Feedback link. Apple reads every feedback post, and what they read informs future design and layout changes.

Best of luck,

GB

Sep 20, 2015 10:11 AM in response to gail from maine

First off, look Gail, I never said that was disabled. I said that the option to sort by 'album artist' was disabled, which is an entirely different category altogether.

Second off, you acknowledged that you neither use apple music so you don't have any knowledge of whether or not the connect bar could be removed, and we've established that you didn't know what sorting by album artist is either - why did you even respond to the question when you didn't have any knowledge? Seriously...

Dec 25, 2015 8:02 PM in response to Koriolanus

Amen, brother. The app won't even play playlists in any order other than random?! That is sheer indolence on Apple's part to pretend nothing outside their most commercially controlled use case of Appple Music browsing exists. And before a high-level user with a lavender icon and cat picture replies to me telling me to submit feedback to Apple, I did the first day it happened. I only just updated again because its description claimed improvements for Apple Music offline playlists so I updated on the hope that they'd stopped leaving non-Apple Music playlists bleeding chopped up into pieces on the ground, too. And this is music I actually bought FROM APPLE they won't let me play IN THE ORIGINAL ALBUM'S OWN ORDER!!!!! Preposterously ludicrous and insane--and inane. Shame on Apple for failing to allocate sufficient resources, if they're gonna start from scratch re-writing the music app, to ensure that its new version at least treads water. I am not an Apple Music subscriber, and shouldn't have to be for my functionality to be LEFT ALONE AND INTACT. But I guess their hardware margin deafens them to the hideous insults their actions spew into their users' faces. And yes, all you lavender ******* out there, I'm giving Apple a black eye tonally because they deserve one.

Mar 24, 2016 5:14 AM in response to Koriolanus

I am SO brand new to this that I probably shouldn't even be interjecting. But I HAD the exact same frustration/problem and accidently found a work around that works for me (may not work for you). I am IOS 9.3

I wanted the songs on my playlist sorted by Title. While I can't find out how to sort on the iPhone, if I sort the particular playlist that I want BY TITLE in iTunes then it appears to sync over to the iPhone presorted BY TITLE. If I sort the playlist by COMMENT then when I sync it is in COMMENT order. I assume that whatever the sort is in iTunes, that will be the sort on the iPhone.

Who knows???

iOS 9 music sorting options are AWFUL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.