Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scratches on space grey aluminium body - Is there a way to get rid of them?

II've managed to scuff my Apple watch sports edition in space grey and it's showing silver underneath - really annoyed with myself but was wondering if there's a way to buff it out or re-coat it?User uploaded file

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 3:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 3:14 PM

Auminum is anodized and over time through oxidation it will lose colour, space grey is a great finish to Apple products and they do get the silver pots that is the result of oxidation, if you really want to rid yourself of those silver marks then I suggest removing the space grey finish or using marker pens, I find when it comes to getting scratches that do annoy, buff it out with normal polish and a microfiber cloth, then once the scratch looks less faded then use the marker pen to fill in the scratch so the colour sinks into the scratch covering it up, gently rub it away so it making sure not to rub to hard as you don't want to lose the cover up, there are some good touch up pens out there that will do the job for you, you just have to shop around

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2015 3:14 PM in response to Jonathan UK

Auminum is anodized and over time through oxidation it will lose colour, space grey is a great finish to Apple products and they do get the silver pots that is the result of oxidation, if you really want to rid yourself of those silver marks then I suggest removing the space grey finish or using marker pens, I find when it comes to getting scratches that do annoy, buff it out with normal polish and a microfiber cloth, then once the scratch looks less faded then use the marker pen to fill in the scratch so the colour sinks into the scratch covering it up, gently rub it away so it making sure not to rub to hard as you don't want to lose the cover up, there are some good touch up pens out there that will do the job for you, you just have to shop around

Sep 19, 2015 3:11 AM in response to porlhilton

Hi

The case of Apple Watch Sport has an anodized finish: "Each case is machined and polished, then blasted with microscopic zirconia beads to achieve a consistent, satin texture. A special anodizing process creates a hard, clear outer layer that helps protect against scratches and corrosion."

Apple does not recommend polishing or buffing the watch with abrasives:

Cleaning and wearing Apple Watch - Apple Support

Rather than fixing the original scratch, use of any abrasives (including mechanical polishing) will only cause further damage to the anodized finish. There is no way to restore an anodized finish other than by completely removing the coating and re-anodizing the whole case.

Scratches on space grey aluminium body - Is there a way to get rid of them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.