Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 9 Voice Memo Issue

I am having an issue with voice memos in IOS 9 while the iPhone 5 is connected to my Ford F-150 SYNC system.

What is happening is that when I start the voice memo app the vehicle acts like I am making a phone call. The music stops playing (not a bad feature actually). The display indicates a phone call is taking place. I cannot hang up using the screen on the SYNC system. The only way to get music back, actually to get the SYNC system back, is to force terminate the voice memo app.

I am trying to determine if the problem is within the SYNC system or within IOS. The problem did not exist in earlier versions of IOS. It may even be a compatibility issue between SYNC and IOS and not the fault of IOS entirely. I had the problem while running the beta (even IOS 9.1) and reported the issue to Apple multiple times but the problem still exists within IOS 9. For your information I did a DFU restore on the phone to get IOS 9 back and get out of the beta program.

So I am asking if others that have their phones connected via bluetooth to their vehicles are having the same issue with the voice memo app.

iPhone 5, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 6:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2017 11:41 AM

Ya'll may have figured this out already:

iOS 10.1+ no longer supports Voice Memo playback through Bluetooth. The workaround is to upload the individual voice memo recording to iCloud drive, or another app that has audio playback, and then stream it through that other app/drive for Bluetooth Audio to function.

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2017 11:41 AM in response to raymond73

Ya'll may have figured this out already:

iOS 10.1+ no longer supports Voice Memo playback through Bluetooth. The workaround is to upload the individual voice memo recording to iCloud drive, or another app that has audio playback, and then stream it through that other app/drive for Bluetooth Audio to function.

Sep 22, 2015 4:00 PM in response to WatdeFox

I just connected with a BT speaker and the memos will play through the speaker. However, I have to tell the phone to play through the speaker. There is a small icon in the upper right that you touch that will bring up a selection of output speakers, the phone, the phone speaker, and the BT speaker. Changing the to the various output options worked without an issue. Perhaps you need to change the output option.

Sep 23, 2015 4:07 PM in response to WatdeFox

More info:

Everything else works through BOSE soundlink mini 2: Youtube, Facebook vids, Instagram vids, etc..

I have another app which is identical to Voice Memo which is called iTalk. The same problem happens when trying to use that app via my BOSE soundlink mini. I then figured maybe any app which accesses the mic and records would have this issue but then I downloaded Voice Record Pro and it doesnt have the problem at all.

So I'm left scratching my head why Voice Memos and iTalk refuse to work over bluetooth connection to a BOSE soundlink mini 2 and not other BT speakers.

I called BOSE and they said they never heard about it, and blamed the iphone. Go figure 🙂

Sep 24, 2015 10:37 AM in response to WatdeFox

I called BOSE and they said they never heard about it, and blamed the iphone. Go figure 🙂

And Apple will blame BOSE. I talked with Apple about my issue and they blamed FORD. I talked with an engineer at FORD (know one personally that worked on SYNC) and he says the problem is Apple's. The old circle jerk where no one wants to take responsibility for the issue.

Oct 5, 2015 5:33 PM in response to raymond73

Hi Raymond73 - I just downloaded IOS 9 on my iphone 5S and same thing is now happening for me - very frustrating because I listen to my voice memos all the time in my car during long commutes - you wrote "I have to tell the phone to play through the speaker. There is a small icon in the upper right that you touch that will bring up a selection of output speakers, the phone, the phone speaker, and the BT speaker. Changing the to the various output options worked without an issue"

Can you please tell me where this little icon is in upper right corner? When I go into voice memo I see a speaker icon but nothing else...is it on another screen? Whatever you can tell me would be very much appreciated as I'm dying to be able to listen in my car again...it was so convenient for me...thanks!

Oct 6, 2015 6:10 AM in response to raymond73

Identical issue with regard to voice memos and my brand-new Bose Soundlink Mini 2. Initially, I thought that the problem was in playing a voice memo from my old 4S (older iOS), but have the same problem with my most up-to-date 5S. This is a particular frustration, as I am a musician and rely on my phones to record performances for practice purposes.

Oct 19, 2015 2:55 AM in response to raymond73

Hi Raymond,

I have the EXACT same problem you have..I also have a 2011 Ford F-150 and like yourself, use the memo recording feature constantly and until I

updated to this new level, NEVER had an issue..There is no doubt Apple needs to get with the program and fix this!!! I know for a fact the problem

is with apple, because my wife has NOT upgraded and the memo record feature works as before!!!

Anyone know how to go back to earlier level???

Oct 19, 2015 5:27 PM in response to Blaque47x

Anyone know how to go back to earlier level???

You cannot go back. Doing so is not supported by Apple. The problem has been reported to Apple multiple times, including in the beta period, yet has not been solved. There are several issues with IOS 9 that Apple needs to resolved. This problem with voice memos is just one issue. I suspect we will have to wait until IOS 9.2 or beyond to have a resolution.

IOS 9 Voice Memo Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.