Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I keep other family members contacts from showing up when I'm composing messages?

I have a iPhone 6s running on IOS 9 on my own Apple Account. I have family sharing turned on with others who use their own Apple Accounts. When composing messages, I see other family members contacts available to choose from. I've gone through the other phones in our Family Sharing group and iCloud contacts is not enabled. Does anyone have a solution for limiting the contacts displayed to just my own? Thanks!

iPhone 6, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 6:59 AM

9 replies

Sep 19, 2015 9:16 AM in response to riggscrew

"merged" contacts via a "syncing" within family share should not occur- agree! You might see contacts but not

as part of your tabke..

--might have been an old bug or mistake in setup to family share?

- generally merges of --contacts, iTunes lbraries,iPhoto libraries etc,

& any shared files or kibs that you and family have in cimmon have_ not_ been

easy stuff to maintain.. even with -family share it was_ a pain befiore newer SW and backups etc.

Now though- new aoos & the grearest menu item added in OSX was "Time Machine"

- Repair: simplest fix is use a backupof contacts from Time Macine backups drive you are supposed to run

on your Mac weekly at least If you share/sync w your Mac.

just start Tine Machine. plug in last date backup before ciontscts was corrupted and restore it via the "Time machine"

nenu & your Mac's backup disc!..even if you manually run it - the backups even weekly- shouldbe relatively easy

to find your clesn contacts even just using dir find tool on hard drive.

( Same applies to iTunes,iPhoto libs.. Its best menu add to OSX ever imho!)

IPhonr restore /-could- get contacts back but..youj get whole older iPhone image Restored!

--so iPhone backup in iCliud ir iTunes via restire iotion is last resort as granularity of testore not there.

Alternative:

if. you do not backup regularly or just have a messed uo contacts

u canuse cheap app (1.99? or less) "SmartMerge"/ saves hours of

manual work deleting dups uneanted etc. I Cleaned a bad contact Table

(inherited an iPad w MANY contacts accidentally synced via iCloud- ouch!

- solution: was able to correct messy contacts via Smartmerge app

(for contacts)- app stiore. - you can easily clean up sort out contacts on iPhonr or iPad then u can just push

the freshly cleaned contacts table via iCloud and select replace in merge options or delete other contacts and just merge via sync.

--hope this helps cirre t ifnot address cause. Time machine is best-

use ut or lose it

TMI? Hope hekoed you ,

Sep 19, 2015 1:11 PM in response to riggscrew

think read thus incorrectly- iCloud not he issue

-its just that you seem to expect family share to squelch the shared contacts

but the option for iCloyd is not option for famiky share.. Turn it ioff & you will

see onky your contacts..

family share used to be enabled in each aop it was useful

like iTunes etc.

if its covering sharing all data Then iCloud options have noth g to do with what is shared between devices in yiur liocal family device net -that is not iCloud but union if all your iOS devices w family share enabled.

IF this us wrong let me know.. BP

Sep 20, 2015 6:33 AM in response to riggscrew

Thank you for the detailed input. The issue is a little strange. Its not that my Contacts contain my kids contacts its just that when I start to compose a text/iMessage by searching for a contact they show up. If I go to Contacts directly and search, I don't see these names/numbers. They may be recently used contacts from my kids messages? If so, I'm not sure how to clear the buffer/list of them. What do you think?

Nov 25, 2015 9:29 PM in response to riggscrew

I know exactly what you are talking about. It has nothing to do with active Contacts. It is simply that iMessage on a Family Shared device is suggesting past contacts complete with names and phone numbers when entering names to send a message to. In fact, the problem exists in messaging even when iMessage is turned off. This even happened to my wife on a new iPad Pro today which was just configured. Upon typing names in iMessage it was bringing up past contacts and phone numbers that had never been associated with her Apple ID. It is pulling past contacts that I had long since deleted and I am the Family Sharing organizer. Interestingly, as the family organizer I have kepr iMessage off so it is actually pulling from past SMS or MMS messages. It is a bug and no settings will disable it short of disabling Family Sharing. Removing the past names manually on each device as suggested on the thread is a workaround but does not guarantee that other names will not continue to flow down the suggestion list on each device that is part of Family Sharing. My guess is that the Family Sharing for this specific list is inaccurately equating all device phone numbers as equal regardless of the differences in Apple ID's and the phone numbers themselves. It just assumes that the message writer's phone number is the same as all Family Sharing members and is pulling from this list which is somehow shared thought the Family Sharing ecosystem. Apple, please fix.

Apr 20, 2016 1:26 PM in response to riggscrew

I'm having this problem as well. I think it has to do with making multiple users, me and my partner, on a shared iMac. We each have a separate Apple ID, so this is very frustrating. I turned off "Allow Calls in Other Devices" for phones in settings on her phone, and Text Message Forwarding in messages settings, and it seems to have remedied it. My question, is why is she able to see my contacts, without being expressly approved/setup for that; and secondly, does this make it impossible for our separate user accounts on the iMac to actually be separate? If this was intentional on Apple's part it is an odd move to make.

How can I keep other family members contacts from showing up when I'm composing messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.