Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sticky pointer

Hello,

I have a strange issue on my 3 months old iMac 21. These details is to say that the OS is the last one and the mouse is wireless one.

The trouble I get is that suddenly the pointer is sticked to an icon of a file or of a folder on the desktop, and then move with it.

The only way to get out of the situation was to force quit the desktop, but after a while it returns to disobey.

I googled the issue and found out that 10.5 and 10.6 suffered from the issue, but the solutions proposed there where not constructive.

One of the solution which was proposed was the repair permissions. I did it, and the issuer went away for three days and returned to stay with me.

What could I do to convince the mouse the the pointer to behave.

Regards

Rik

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), iMac mid 2015

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 10:04 AM

12 replies

Sep 19, 2015 10:36 AM in response to cooprik

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Sep 20, 2015 9:20 AM in response to cooprik

Sorry to inform you and others who may be acquainted with a possible solution to the problem: the proposed solution didn't helped me.

I did as proposed and 12 hours later the problem returned and it continues to exists.

I hope there exists another solution to the problem.

Thanks in advance for any useful help and assistance

Rik

Sep 20, 2015 9:49 AM in response to cooprik

Keyboard/Mouse – Troubleshooting Wireless

Bluetooth devices become unresponsive

Bluetooth Interference Sources

Bluetooth Interference Sources (2)

If your Wi-Fi is capable of generating a 5 GHz signal, try that.

Restart the computer holding down the command - option/alt - P - R keys before the gray screen appears. Continue to hold until you hear the startup chime for the second time.

Reset NVRAM/PRAM

Sep 21, 2015 9:49 AM in response to rccharles

No, I haven't tried. I do not have, unfortunately, wired mouse, and it is too expensive for me to purchase for this problem.

I have noticed that when the pointer become sticky with any file, so when I point on that file and click Escape, the pointer is liberated, but the trouble returned later on, so this is a temporary solution for me, but not a permanent one,

BTW, I have another iMac, both were bought the same day 3 months ago, and the other iMac has the same wireless mouse without these troubles. They are standing with the distance of two meters between, and the other iMac has no troubles.

Still need an assistance and help to solve the problem.

Sticky pointer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.