Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.3 Not Recognizing iPhone 4s after Upgrade to IOS 9

So the upgrade to IOS 9 yesterday was painful. I started the upgrade over the wifi as I’ve done several times before, it downloaded, started the installation, and then froze with the Apple logo and a complete bar underneath it. After about 2 hours, I rebooted the iPhone 4s, and then the iPhone 4s wanted me to cable connect to iTunes. I had Windows v12.2 of iTunes on my laptop PC, so I connected the iPhone 4s to my PC, and iTunes recognized the iPhone 4s and gave me a message about "restore or reset to factory". I chose restore, and then iTunes downloaded IOS 9 and installed it. After a couple of iPhone reboots, and some basic setup questions, this seemed to work, my iPhone booted and I had all my photos, data, and apps.

Then iTunes gave me an error message that said the current version of iTunes wouldn't support the IOS 9 on the iPhone 4s, and it needed to upgrade iTunes. So I upgraded the PC to iTunes to 12.3. Now iTunes won't recognize the iPhone 4s. The iPhone 4s, however, now whines about "Allow this device to access photos and videos" each time I cable attach it to the PC. So by tapping on Allow, I can open the iPhone 4s's pictures on the PC using File Explorer. But iTunes on my PC still won't recognize the iPhone 4s. The biggest issue right now is that I can't sync the iPhone 4s with iTunes on my PC.

Oh, and by the way, iTunes wifi sync isn’t working either….

I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise on a Dell Inspiron 5558-i7 with 16Gb memory. I don't see the usual Apple device drivers/controllers in Device Manager that I'm used to seeing in Windows 7 or 8.1. These either have been eliminated in iTunes 12.3 or somehow they aren't downloading/installing with iTunes as usual. I also decided to disable Symantec Endpoint Protection, and repair iTunes. The repair indicated success, but still have the same issue with iTunes not recognizing the iPhone.

Decided to try on my iMac. Had to upgrade iTunes to 12.3 there also, and iTunes on the iMac readily recognizes the iPhone 4s.

Any ideas as to why this isn’t working on the PC? Is it IOS 9 or the Windows version of iTunes 12.3?

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 11:04 AM

This solved my problem with iTunes 12.3, IOS9 on the iPhone 4s. Thank you Macdutson!

Macdutson Sep 16, 2015 8:04 PM Re: iPhone not recognized in iTunes 12.3

Re: iPhone not recognized in iTunes 12.3 in response to zippychimp24 Solved

This will fix your problem.

Close iTunes
Open Control Panel
Go to Device Manager
Drop down Portable Devices
Right click on Apple iPhone
Select Properties
Select Driver tab
Click Update Driver
Select Browse my computer
Click Browse...
Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers
Windows does the rest
Plug in iPhone...
TaDa!!!

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2015 11:04 AM in response to tmounts

This solved my problem with iTunes 12.3, IOS9 on the iPhone 4s. Thank you Macdutson!

Close iTunes
Open Control Panel
Go to Device Manager
Select Properties
Select Driver tab
Click Update Driver
Click Browse...
Windows does the rest
Plug in iPhone...
TaDa!!!

Sep 30, 2015 4:26 PM in response to tmounts

tmounts wrote:

Close iTunes
Open Control Panel
Go to Device Manager
Select Properties
Select Driver tab
Click Update Driver
Click Browse...
Windows does the rest
Plug in iPhone...
TaDa!!!

This worked like a charm. I waited a long while after updating to the free Win 10. Glad I found this, Thanks!

Oct 3, 2015 7:41 AM in response to rjt8

Thanks tmount! Didnt work for me the first time. iTunes still didnt recognise the iPhone. I repeated the same process. At the last step, I asked windows to search online for the driver.

Within a few seconds of updating the driver, my iPhone name showed up and everything is well. BTW, I had my iPhone connected during this process.

For quite some time the iPhone hasnt been recognised by even SynciOS which I use to upload photos and voice memos from the iPhone.

Good job!

iTunes 12.3 Not Recognizing iPhone 4s after Upgrade to IOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.