Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes 11.4 and ios 9. Problems with SL

I've Snow Leopard installed on Imac core 2 duo.

I've an iphone with ios 9 (update today).

Now iTunes doesn't recognize my iphone.

What can I do?

thanks

iMac (24-inch Mid 2007), iOS 9, snow leopard

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 7:01 PM

Same thing happened to me. I restored my iPhone to 8.4.1

11 replies

Sep 19, 2015 8:22 PM in response to Robert__K

how??? any forums that show how to find a downloadable version of ios 8.4.1 require the iphone to plug into itunes, so you can access the summary page and "restore" button. my itunes (11.4) wont even allow the iphone to connect.

i have a 2010 imac, running snow leopard (because yosemite wont support the buttload of peripheral devices i've been using for years)

iphone is 6+

mac reps wont do anything but suggest i upgrade to yosemite. somebody please help

Sep 21, 2015 5:06 AM in response to tsah_yawd

I downloaded the .ipsw for my phone (5s gsm) from this site: https://ipsw.me/ (you select device, then the iOS version; you want one of the green ones, they are still signed by Apple). I used my computer (an iMac running OS X 10.6.8) to download the ipsw, and placed it into a folder (you can put it on the desktop as well).

I then CLOSELY followed the process at http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iosapps/how-downgrade-from-ios-9-to-8-7-reinsta ll-ios-8-3522302/#howtodowngrade

...particularly the "hold down the Option key and click on the Restore button" (took me three tries: first two times I just clicked on Restore and it tried to give me iOS 9 instead of letting me select the .ipsw i downloaded...but with Option/Restore, it let me pick the 8.4.1 -- iPhone6,1_8.4.1_12H321_Restore.ipsw)

After it restored the phone to 8.4.1, iTunes again recognized it, and asked if I wanted to restore from the backup (YES, YES, PLEASE 🙂) ... and everything is now back to normal.

p.s.: yes, the same RESTORE verb, but different context--

--the first RESTORE, Restore iPhone, changes the firmware, is the one that replaces iOS 9 with iOS 8.4.1, leaving you with a totally wiped phone, just like when it came from the store

--the next RESTORE, Restore Backup, grabs all the data you saved the last time you sync'd (I automatically sync every time I plug the phone into the usb port to charge) and puts it back onto your phone

Sep 19, 2015 10:34 PM in response to Robert__K

I AM BREATHING A HUGE SIGH OF RELIEF!!!!!!!
this seems to be working. i am currently passing the time as my last backup is reloading onto my iphone. so far, so good. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. ** and all the techs at the local apple store unknowingly thank you for dissuading my need to go there tomorrow & causing a huge angry scene**

and, again, THANK YOU!!!!

Sep 19, 2015 11:06 PM in response to tsah_yawd

You are quite welcome.

I forgot to mention (clearly was not necessary because your DID closely read the macworld post), that to get iTunes to recognize your phone so you can begin the Restore iPhone, you have to go into Recovery mode: power down your phone, unplug the usb cable from computer, then while holding Home button down on your phone, plug usb cable into computer.

I include this solely for the benefit of anyone else who may need to deal with this problem but does NOT read the macworld post closely enough 😟

Sep 20, 2015 11:15 PM in response to pktt1974

I had this same problem. I had downloaded and installed iOS9 via iTunes and got the "iPhone cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes." message.

I restored my iPhone to 8.4.1 and this time downloaded iOS9 directly from the phone. No problems now connecting to iTunes 11.4. The same thing is true with my iPad 2.

Oct 6, 2015 3:19 AM in response to pktt1974

This no longer works as Apple are no longer signing iOS 8.4.1.

So anyone stuck on 10.6 or 10.7 because Apple no longer supported your computer for subsequent OS updates, then apple says 'tough luck'.

If anyone has a solution for those of use who use iTunes 11.4 and iOS 9 and just had their Apple experience curtailed with no warning and no comeback. Then I would be glad to hear it. As my 5s and my daugters iPod Touch are now unbackupable, unsyncable and devoid of music.

Thanks, I look forward to a solution. If it requires the purchase of a new mac, then I'm not really interested in that 'solution'.

itunes 11.4 and ios 9. Problems with SL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.