Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch has red box with line through it. Cannot re-pair.

After having my Apple Watch for a month or so, it now has a small red box at the top of it with a line through it. I powered it off and back on. Did not fix it. I unpaired it and tried to re-pair it. Now cannot pair with my iPhone 6. What is going on?

Apple Watch, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 1:18 PM

There is a difference between being disconnected and unpaired.

If your watch face shows a red phone symbol with a line through it, this means that your Apple Watch and iPhone are disconnected.

User uploaded file

You did not need to re-pair your Apple Watch - just reconnect it. They should reconnect automatically when your watch and iPhone come back within range of each other. If they don't, follow these steps - checking after each one - until they do:

- Check that Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are both enabled on your iPhone and that your iPhone and Apple Watch are close by each other.

- Check also that you haven't enabled Airplane Mode on your watch.

- Disable and then re-enable Bluetooth on your iPhone: (Settings > Bluetooth)

- Enable and disable Airplane Mode on your Apple Watch: Swipe up on the watch face > Swipe sideways to the Settings Glance > Tap the airplane icon to enable Airplane Mode (this turns off Bluetooth & Wi-Fi) > Wait for a short while > Tap the icon again to disable Airplane Mode (re-enables Bluetooth and Wi-Fi) > Connected should appear at the top of the screen.

- Restart both devices.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2015 1:18 PM in response to W6JHB

There is a difference between being disconnected and unpaired.

If your watch face shows a red phone symbol with a line through it, this means that your Apple Watch and iPhone are disconnected.

User uploaded file

You did not need to re-pair your Apple Watch - just reconnect it. They should reconnect automatically when your watch and iPhone come back within range of each other. If they don't, follow these steps - checking after each one - until they do:

- Check that Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are both enabled on your iPhone and that your iPhone and Apple Watch are close by each other.

- Check also that you haven't enabled Airplane Mode on your watch.

- Disable and then re-enable Bluetooth on your iPhone: (Settings > Bluetooth)

- Enable and disable Airplane Mode on your Apple Watch: Swipe up on the watch face > Swipe sideways to the Settings Glance > Tap the airplane icon to enable Airplane Mode (this turns off Bluetooth & Wi-Fi) > Wait for a short while > Tap the icon again to disable Airplane Mode (re-enables Bluetooth and Wi-Fi) > Connected should appear at the top of the screen.

- Restart both devices.

Sep 19, 2015 1:17 PM in response to W6JHB

As you have now unpaired your watch via the iPhone app - but without this being reflected on your watch - follow these steps:

On your Apple Watch: tap on Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings.

This will reset your Apple Watch to the factory settings.

Then re-pair it using the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, choosing to restore your Apple Watch from backup when the option is offered:

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Sep 19, 2015 8:09 PM in response to Jonathan UK

Jonathan - that got it done, although it was **** trying to restore from the backup. I gave up and simply told it that it was a new watch. I had an Apple ID for a long time and a year or so ago some rocket scientist at Apple decided that anyone having one of the "old", non-email type userids had to get a new one. And thus started a LOT of grief for me with IDs, passwords, etc. trying to get it all straight on an iPhone, iPod, iPad, and an iMac. Everything was fine until I was forced to change my ID. I'd like to get my hands on the bonehead that forced that change down,our throats. Anyway, thanks for the help - your answers got me back in business with my watch.

Regards, Jim

Watch has red box with line through it. Cannot re-pair.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.