Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing Microsoft Outlook Notes with iTunes 12.3

This functionality appears to have been taken out of the most recent version of iTunes, version 12.3. This has been confirmed by a discussion with Apple Care Support. The support person is also a user of Outlook Notes and noted that she could no longer sync Outlook Notes with her iPod. I use Outlook Notes extensively and until the most recent update to iTunes 12.3 and iOS 9.0, this functionality worked flawlessly by selecting Sync Outlook Notes in the Information tab of the device when using iTunes.

Does anyone in the community have this issue and found a work around? In versions of iTunes going back about a year and half, this same issue arose and magically the functionality returned to iTunes. This time Apple has added functionality to Notes in this new release of iOS 9.0. This might have introduced a compatibility issue with Outlook.

Appreciate any help from the community or Apple directly.

iPad Air, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 11:23 AM

33 replies

May 11, 2017 12:02 PM in response to LRPYYZ2PHX

Elegant! Now, Outlook syncs with my iPhone, updating the Contacts with the Notes cleverly "hidden". {:>) I was married to Notes, and it was a pain to copy the contents of an updated note on my PC or iPxxxxx, paste it into an email, send it to myself, copy the contents of the email on the receiving product, then paste the contents into Notes on my PC or iPxxxxx.

Like I said, elegant.

Sep 21, 2015 7:53 AM in response to Allen455

After upgrading to IOS 9 on my iPhone 6, I am able to sync IOS 9 Notes with Outlook 2013 Notes.

However, the NOTES setting in iTunes v12.3 is missing, so I have NO idea what is controlling the notes sync process.

I also found a new setting in IOS 9 for Notes to indicate "New Notes Start With" - I set this to TITLE. When this was on BODY, all my Outlook Notes would lose their first line of text, which was treated as "Subject" in previous IOS Notes. I had to use the Notes from an Outlook backup to recover from this SNAFU and have been able to sync between IOS 9 Notes and Outlook Notes.

I have tried using a spare iPhone 5S with IOS 9 to see if the Outlook Notes would sync to this 5s - THIS WILL NOT SYNC. Go figure!

Also, I have an iPhone 4s with IOS 8.4.1. When this iPhone is connected to the same iTunes, then the NOTES setting shows up ! Go figure!!

I am so confused.

Sep 21, 2015 8:03 AM in response to LRPYYZ2PHX

Saying goes, misery loves company. Seems like there is variation based on the device which is just crazy. I don't seem to have sync working for either iPad Air or iPhone 5. Certainly don't have anything in iTunes that would indicate it is syncing.

In settings there is a choice for treating the first line of a new Note as either title or body. My issue was when I opened a Note on my iPad for the first time, I responded yes to new style Notes. This then destroyed the Note, putting everything in one big paragraph. When I opened a Note for the first time on my iPhone, I chose no to new style and the original formatting was retained. However, the new functionality of notes to insert a picture and to put handwritten information into the note is not available.

When you also go to the Notes folder there is a choice to Upgrade the Notes on the iPhone. This will likely result in the same format destruction that occurred on my iPad. It is also identifying these notes as Local Notes. I suspect there is something about how Notes now interacts with iCloud that is in the mix.

Still a big issue for those of us who simply want to use Notes with Outlook 2013.

Sep 22, 2015 11:07 AM in response to calster1

The issue appears to be if you upgrade Notes. If you do this, at least for me syncing with iTunes 12.3, then the sync capability is no longer available. As commented by others, if you don't upgrade notes on the device, Outlook Notes sync continues, but there is no way to turn it on or off from iTunes. iTunes seems to carry over the function from prior versions of iTunes settings in the Info group, Other settings.

Because I didn't upgrade Notes on my iPhone 5 running iOS 9, Notes is syncing. However, I did upgrade Notes on my iPad Air, also running iOS 9, and Notes is no longer syncing and the format of the Notes is destroyed.

Sep 23, 2015 8:07 AM in response to Allen455

Thinking outside of the box.......

Let's see if this suggestion may help -

I created an Outlook Contact with a company name of "Note" followed by subject text.

I then copied and pasted the text from my largest note (187kb) in the Notes section of the Outlook Contact.

This sync'ed to my iPhone 6 contacts error-free.

This is how I plan to get around the IOS9 Notes-Outlook debacle.

Oct 5, 2015 4:48 AM in response to Allen455

Hi, +1

I have the same problem with my iPad And my iPhone.

In fact : after installing iTunes 12.3, the conduit to synchronise Notes between Computer and iPhone and iPad does not work : It's not a bug (sic), it's a new fonctionnality...

A message appear in French is

User uploaded file

iTunes could not synchronize with iPhone, disconnected...

I have the same message with my iPad.

I want to downgrade iTunes to an older version to test (to test that, i need to backup my computer before to save Notes structure and format)

Regards.

Oct 5, 2015 9:25 AM in response to herve_53810

My understanding is that once you upgrade to iOS 9 or later, you cannot sync with any other version of iTunes other than 12.3. To make matters more challenging, Apple is also not letting people go back once they upgrade to version 9.1. I read something over the weekend that indicates certainly not if you have upgraded to version 9.2 of iOS.

My only hope is that as there appears to be bugs and flaws in the current version of iOS 9, that eventually Apple development will fix the issues we are having. That's what happened the last time this functionality was disrupted. Magically it was fixed.

We can only hope that the development team looks at the discussion going on and responds.

Oct 13, 2015 8:17 AM in response to Allen455

Hi,
So the Notes application can no longer be synchronized, is an application that no longer useless?
And then it will be what application no longer be usable? Calendar? Phone ? Contacts?
If only there was an alternative to extend the user experience after the iPhone, but no solution is proposed ...

I really regret that the visionary Steve Jobs is no longer there to read it ...
What remains is a pure commercial product ...
This is not to use, it's for sale ...
Laughable ... desperately.

Oct 18, 2015 9:15 AM in response to yannonline

+1

In fact, the actions of Apple (and the guilty silence that persists) needed to turn to a more stable solution.
It is sure that by taking functions of the solution, Apple does not take risks.
I admit that Microsoft terminals seem suddenly more "sexy" than the iPhone which synchronizes with him over something other than himself ...
One walks on the head: Basic functions disappear, users back problem and ... nothing, nada ...
If I'd have guessed a few years ago that Microsoft would be the solution, I would have laughed at the situation, now I'm sad that Apple takes up the post through MacIntosh ...

Steve, please do come back, those who remain are not in, they do not know, do not guess.

Oct 27, 2015 7:09 PM in response to Allen455

One way around this (assuming that you use a Gmail account) is to use gsyncit from Fieldston Software (www.fieldstonsoftware.com). You can configure their product to synchronise Outlook Notes with Gmail notes and then set your iPhone / iPad to synchronise notes with your Gmail account. Using this solution also means that your notes will synchronise on the fly - rather than only each time you sychronise your iDevice with your PC. I also synchronise my Calendar, Contacts and Tasks the same way and it works brilliantly. (Costs $19.99 but it is worth its weight in gold!)

Syncing Microsoft Outlook Notes with iTunes 12.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.