Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Double line on the bottom border of a cell

I am a CPA and I want to use Numbers for all of my spreadsheet work in my office. However, I cannot because I need to be able to use a double underline as the bottom border for a total at the end of a column of numbers - footing at the bottom of a column. This is a common need of all accountants. I know how to do this to double underline text, but cannot see how to do this for the bottom border of a cell. Any ideas on how this can be done very simply and in a professional looking manner? Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 11:25 AM

8 replies

Sep 19, 2015 1:51 PM in response to Sparkleberry

Yes, I have done that successfully - double underline only the text in a cell. But what I need to do is to place a double underline at the lower edge of the entire cell - it is a border issue - "bottom border double underline". A single line on the bottom border is easy - it is the double line that is giving me trouble. In Excel it is easy. I just cannot see how to make that happen in Numbers. Any ideas?

Sep 19, 2015 3:28 PM in response to Jeff.Tarver

Hi Jeff,

Numbers does not do this well. The best I can come up with is still two separate moves.

The first line you can do as the lower cell border.

The second still won't fill the cell but nearly. Text>Layout>Borders & Rules.

User uploaded file

There needs to be some text in the cell, if only a single space. In addition to setting the Offset at 5pt, I set the Text Inset to 0pt.

quinn

Sep 19, 2015 4:28 PM in response to Jeff.Tarver

Here is a workaround that gives you double lines that are of equal length fill the cells entirely. It takes advantage of the fact that you can paste images into the background of Numbers cells.

User uploaded file

First create a low double line in an extra cell using the REPT function and the character code for low double line.

=REPT(CHAR(8215),50)

Turn off text wrapping (Format > Text and uncheck 'Wrap text in Cell') and widen the cell until it's a little wider than the columns containing cells where you a double underline to appear. Then take a screenshot of that cell using shift-command 4 and selecting the screen area for the cell, omitting the little blank space in the left of the cell. Drag the screenshot onto the Numbers canvas. On my machine the screenshot appears large but it will "shrink" to the right size when pasted into a cell. Click it, command-c to copy, click in cells where you want the double underlining, and command-v to paste.

Getting things just right the first time is a little fussy, but the image is reusable and can be pasted into other cells when needed. The ultimate effect perhaps looks a little more professional than other workarounds.

SG

Double line on the bottom border of a cell

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.