Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem creating disk images with disk utility - won't play or burn to disc

I'm trying to make copies of some DVDs my friend made. I've been using disk utility (Mac OS X 10.6.8) to create disk images to burn, and for some of the DVDs it's been working fine. But for others I've been having problems. When I insert the DVD I want to copy and press "New Image", the disk image that is created is only 1.2MB in size (instead of a few GB) and isn't able to play. Going onto "File > New > Disk Image From Folder" appears to work (it creates a disk image of the right size), but when I mount the disk image it won't play on the DVD player like the others (it just says "Supported disc not available"). I was able to burn it to a blank DVD, but when I tried to play the DVD there was nothing there. Interestingly, when I converted the disk image to an .iso file for my friend to play on a Windows computer she was able to play it without a problem.

I'm wondering if anybody knows how I could overcome the problem, or if there's another way I could copy the contents of a DVD onto a new disk?

MacBook, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 1:43 PM

9 replies

Problem creating disk images with disk utility - won't play or burn to disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.