Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5S blue screen of death (BSOD) after iOS9 update

iPhone is stock in this loop (blue screen > restart ). After holding the home+power button and following the restore or update procedure in iTunes error 9 appears. Basically, neither restore or update work through iTune.

This is happening after a recent update to iOS9.

Anyone else has this issue?

iPhone 5, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 2:01 PM

60 replies

Sep 20, 2015 2:04 PM in response to surfingxp

Howdy surfingxp,

It sounds like you are unable to restore your phone because iTunes keep giving you an error number 9. I would recommend first doing the troubleshooting you can in the following article:

Resolve iOS update and restore errors in iTunes

If the issue perists then I would next look at the troubleshooting in the following article for that error number, usually associated with security software:

Get help with iOS update and restore errors

Check your security software

Errors: 2, 4, 6, 9, 1611, 9006.

Sometimes security software can stop your device from communicating with either the Apple update server or with your device.

Check your security software and settings to make sure that they aren't blocking a connection to the Apple servers.

If you still see the error message, check for USB connection issues.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Oct 5, 2015 11:42 AM in response to surfingxp

Hello,

this happened to me as well!

I upgraded my phone last week. Last Friday the phone crashed and wouldn't boot for a few minutes while i was in a call. The phone's screen became whiter and whiter while the rest of the displayed screen that had frozen faded away.

This morning it happened again after the phone had worked all weekend. The main difference now is that it is stuck in a boot loop. The phone begins to boot, after perhaps 1 minute, before the OS is loaded, the screen becomes blue and then different strange patterns fades in on the screen in different colors.

I managed to break the boot-loop and got the device in DFU mode, tried restoring and i have managed to do it twice (out of perhaps 30 failed attempts). Once i tried restoring from backup, the last time i tried as a new phone but it didn't help. Right after the installation guide and after the home screen displayed, it crashed again. Now it's looping.

I don't know what to to, i can't imagine that an update could create an hardware error but this sure seems like a HW error. I don't know what to to. It feels wrong that i should have to replace my barely 2 year old phone after a software update... 😠

Oct 6, 2015 5:29 AM in response to Toosman

By restoring the phone from my Macbook it finally managed to be restored. When i set it up as a new phone it actually worked for a while. I turned of wifi and bluetooth, thinking one of them might be an issue after browsing the web for similar issues. I put in my sim card and i used my phone the whole day until 2pm. At 2pm i noticed that i didn't get imessage working and the phone told me i needed to verify my icloud settings (even though icloud was already activated from the installation guide). While i was entering the icloud password, my phone froze, the screen turned blue and the phone started boot-looping.

I'm gonna see if i can re-produce this some way. To see if the phone woks without my icloud settings...

Oct 18, 2015 8:00 AM in response to surfingxp

Same behavior but I can isolate it to having a WiFi connection enabled. My phone is quite stable as long as I leave WiFi disabled. I've tried a full hardware reset, from DFU with reinstallation, and the issue persists once WiFi is re-enabled. It may run fine for a few hours but then just sitting will spontaneously blue screen and reboot, sometimes several times in a row. My patience is really running thin.

Nov 22, 2015 1:59 PM in response to surfingxp

Similar problem. I set up my iPhone 5s as a new device with iOS 9.1 and it worked fine for half a week. After a few days it suddenly crashed with a blue screen and did a reboot (it showed the apple logo like on a startup but I didin't have to enter my pin after it returned to the homescreen). After the first crash the bluescreens came again and again every few minutes of using or even not-using the iPhone (it crashed when browsing the web, while typing a messages, while being on the homescreen etc. or it just turned off while lying on the desk unused). After crashing it sometimes goes into a boot loop that crashed over and over again with a bluescreen. Sometimes the bluescreen freezes and changes its color slowly to black or yellow. Sometimes it can't be turned on again and needs to be restored in DFU-Mode with iTunes.

I set up the device as "a new iPhone" (without using a backup) several times with iOS 9.1. After doing that, the iPhone works fine for about five days till the bluescreens returne same like before.

Last Tuesday I installed iOS 9.2 beta 4. Again it worked absolutely fine for a few days but today I had bluescreens again.

I think this can't be a hardware problem. The iPhone worked fine with all iOS-Versions till 8.4.1 and it also works fine with a fresh installed 9.1 ...but just for a few days.

Nov 29, 2015 5:30 AM in response to KrummeGurke

iOS 9 destroyed my iPhone 5s!

For five weeks I have been doing the same thing over and over again:

1. clean install of iOS 9.1 (without backup)

2. Everything works absolutely perfect for about 5 to 6 days.

3. Then someday it crashes with a bluescreen and starts again.

4. After that first crash I can use it again for a few hours. But then the bluescreens come more often till the iPhone goes into an boot loop. The hardware reset doesn't help - it just goes back into the boot loop.

5. Bringing the iPhone into DFU-MODE and restoring it. During that it will crash many many times also with a blue screen, iTunes shows Error 9 (this week it took about 20 attemps till I could restore it - sometimes it shows the "hello"-screen and crashes with a bluescreen right after that!!).

6. Last week I installed the iOS 9.2 beta 4 and used it without any additional app (just the original apple-apps that are pre-installed). But yesterday the bluescreens returned. So the bluescreens are definitely not caused by an app! I sent a Feedback report to apple when the first bluescreens happend. Hope they will take about what I wrote!

Till iOS 8.4.1 everything worked perfect!!! I never did a Jailbrake and also the hardware is still original!!

Dec 5, 2015 12:06 PM in response to KrummeGurke

Hello, I've got exactly the same problem with exactly the same symptoms for absolutely EACH points!

This morning I went to an Apple Store today but they don't want to do anything because my phone is not under warranty (2 years and one month) !

They've just restored it (I've tried many times without succes and they succeeded...)

They just say me : Maybe your problem is because you've intalled iOS9 from Windows! Oh My God !! The genius think that my update was corrupted.. I've tried to explain him that there is integrity control and it can't happened even if I'm doing it from Windows but..........

I was thinking that it's a hardware probleme because my home button doesn't work, but it doesn't work for about 8 month without bluescreen...

I feel really angry against this iPhone5S and Apple Genius! I'll go back to Apple Store on Wednesday to try with another Genius...

Dec 6, 2015 2:36 PM in response to surfingxp

Add me to the list of people with this issue. iPhone 5s 32gb. Never had any issues with the phone until iOS9. The phone is in new condition, not a scratch on it, never dropped, etc.

Some time after updating to iOS9, I started getting what appears to be a blue palm print across the screen. I cannot recreate the event as it is completely random. It happens when the phone is idle, it happens under heavy use; though now that I think of it, it has never occurred during a phone call (could be related to cellular data? as I am a Sprint user and do not have simultaneous voice and data). The phone then typically enters a boot loop. Sometimes it will reboot fine on the first try, other times it will continue to crash, hang on the Apple icon, or just stay off.

I have attempted all suggested solutions online and none of them have worked long term. Similar to others' experience, a DFU mode recovery gives me a good few days of operation, but nevertheless the blue palm print sneaks its ugly head back in.

Apple screwed me here with this one as iOS9 was released at my one year anniversary of owning the iPhone 5s, which means, warranty expired. Thank you very much for such a wonderful gift.

Dec 6, 2015 6:10 PM in response to groovelite

I tried to downgrade to iOS 8.4.1 but was not able. After seeing the techs at my local Apple store I found out that Apple doesn't allow you to downgrade the iOS.

The techs won't even consider if iOS 9 was at fault.

My iphone 5S is out of warranty and so I just reactivated my iphone 4.

Not sure if I'll get another iphone if Apple ignores issues like this. Fingers crossed for a new update that fixes this issue.

Dec 10, 2015 2:22 AM in response to rkmag

This is the same problem for me, Out of warranty and Apple won't consider that the update is in cause 😟

He said it's the motherboard without testing anything and they can't repair it...

iOS9.2 doesn't solve the problem and I can't use my phone anymore, I've switched on a cheap Android phone 😟.

I'll try to call applecare, the tech said me to insist because the warranty just expire for one month, and I've have other problems before (home button)

iPhone 5S blue screen of death (BSOD) after iOS9 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.