Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgraded to ios 9 USB audio to car not working Uvo Infotainment System

Upgraded 3 out of 4 devices to ios 9, none of them will play Pandora (latest version) thru the Lightning to USB connected 2016 Kia Uvo infotainment system. My final device on ios 8.41 same version(latest version Sept 18,2015) of Pandora, plays fine, the screen goes black it has the connected logo and I can use Pandora. Occasionally the USB IPod connection in the infotainment system will not even pick up the iPod music. But it does work most of the time. With the advent of ios 9 apple installed a carplay settings in the settings. I would hate to think that apple is forcing people to use CarPlay only its an expensive brand new car. Hopefully its a bug. Anyone else with an in car audio "infotainment" system having this problem? I've seen reported issues on Mazda and Subaru websites as well.

iPhone 6, iOS 9, ios 9 iphone 6 & 5s, Air 2

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 2:52 PM

47 replies

Sep 19, 2015 5:57 PM in response to rileysdad

I am having similar issues since the ios 9 "upgrade". Now when I plug my phone into my car instead of playing my music or podcasts, the phone dials its own phone number and hangs the entire system. I can't change from Aux to Radio or CD, it just sits there counting the seconds of its call to itself. And I can't hang up unless I unplug the USB cord. Totally weird.

Sep 22, 2015 9:57 AM in response to rileysdad

I have a Chevy Volt (which has a poor infotainment system already) but USB audio always worked fine. After upgrading to iOS 9, my iPhone 6 connects just fine, but audio now has a skipping sound every couple seconds. In technical language it's called a "clocking error", and it sounds like a record player when the vinyl has a gouge causing a regular pop or skip sound. So frustrating. I have to use my headphone jack AUX input now. Seriously?!

Sep 24, 2015 1:59 PM in response to macaddict111

I can confirm this is an issue with my Chevy Volt as well on iOS9 and an iPhone 6. The USB Audio was fine until the iOS9 upgrade. In fact, my friend had an iPhone that was still on iOS 8 and I used the same USB cable and the issue is NOT present on iOS8.

I was hoping this might be resolved in the 9.0.1 update, however, I'm sad to report the popping and crackling of the audio is still present after the update.

Sep 25, 2015 9:52 AM in response to iTrippi

iTrippi wrote:

Very disappointed and I hope Apple corrects this soon.

Sorry to say this but Apple will direct you back to your car manufacturer. While this isn't a new issue as people have experienced it on previous iOS releases, it is definitely more widespread with iOS 9. Apple isn't trying to force anyone to use Car Play but something was changed that will require the manufacturers to upgrade their systems to work with iOS 9. That is the main reason that developers have access to beta versions so that they can test it with their systems. Apple will even help developers get issues fixed for their apps or hardware. For the car manufacturers it would be a matter of fixing the issue, plugging a device into the service port on your head unit and it would be fixed. However, most car manufacturers could care less at whether or not your head unit works with your device once you update it. The best you can do is complain to your car manufacturer and if enough people complain they may fix it but Apple won't be the ones to do it.

Sep 30, 2015 6:25 AM in response to rileysdad

I've just recently run into this problem myself with my iPod Touch (5th Gen) upgraded to iOS 9. I have a 2013 Subaru and the weird thing is that music will not play through the car USB port, I get an error that says "Check Device". However, I have had absolutely no trouble playing audiobooks on the same device in the same car. Since Apple separated audiobooks from the Music app and put them in the iBooks app, I'm wondering what exactly the issue could be. At this point, I believe that it's probably an issue with the Music app itself. I was able to trick the system for a few seconds by playing my audiobook in iBooks first, then while the USB was still connected, I switched over to the Music app and started a playlist...the music played for about 5 seconds and I thought I had won the battle, but the device went into the "Check Device" error and cut off the music. I switched back to iBooks and it continued to play just fine. (the car was not in motion while I was doing this...just to clarify)

It's an Apple issue...nothing the manufacturer needs to patch on their end. I can't imagine that the USB connection in any car is all that complicated that it needs a firmware update to work with an Apple device, especially a car that is as new as mine. Apple would have surely shot themselves in the foot if they we're not accessible to just about every car USB audio system.

The only thing I did not check is whether just music purchased through the iTunes store will not play or if all music (including songs ripped from CDs [Old school, I know]) will not play.

Oct 1, 2015 11:11 AM in response to rileysdad

2014 Honda Accord. iPod Touch worked fine via usb with iOS 8. Upgraded to iOS 9 the other night and now when I plug in the iPod via the built in usb, I can't do anything. The car screen just says 'Unsupported Device'. Really stinks as the whole reason I bought the iPod was to use in the car to save on data streaming with my phone. Talked to a friend that works at a Honda dealership and he says they haven't heard anything and usually when this type of thing happens its Apple's fault and everyone has to wait for a fix. I can use the Aux input but then I have no controls via the built in car system. Kind of defeats the whole purpose.

Oct 1, 2015 11:15 AM in response to captmase

captmase wrote:

Talked to a friend that works at a Honda dealership and he says they haven't heard anything and usually when this type of thing happens its Apple's fault and everyone has to wait for a fix.

Sorry but your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. Apple has always said that the manufacturers are responsible for the fix. Apple will help them but it's still up to the manufacturer to fix it. If the manufacturer does nothing, then there never will be a fix.

Oct 1, 2015 11:17 AM in response to rileysdad

try toggling bluetooth off and on

try resetting network settings and then re-pair your devices again,

check to see if the audio system has any firmware/software upgrades available

if you have a newer system in your car that supports CarPlay, check out settings>general>carplay to search for nearby cars that support CarPlay

Get help connecting your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with your car stereo - Apple Support

upgraded to ios 9 USB audio to car not working Uvo Infotainment System

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.