Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving files from PC to Mac

Hi,

Whilst I have always been a PC guy (28 years), for various reasons I have decided to stick with one format and put everything on my recent Mac and lose the PC.

I keep all my files on 2 1.5 TB external drives formatted to NTFS, one a master, one a backup.

Now I know people will recommend migration assistant, but I want to use this exercise to re-organise my filing (new folders) and delete old, duplicate and unwanted files.

My query is if I connect the drive to the Mac can I open each file one by one, copy each one I want then delete the files that I copy or do not want, or will the Mac only read and copy, not delete?

I read I can also connect by ethernet cable to the PC (not sure if i need direct cable or crossover cable), would that be better? Would that give me the editing ability I want? (i.e. view copy and delete).

As a last question - having had HDD failures in the past - hence the set up on the pc - duplicated on the Mac (I don´t use the Macs internal HDD, files and OS are on the external drive), can I rely on Time Machine to keep my data safe, or would I be safer reformatting one of the other external HDDs and having that as a second backup controlled by a third party software? If so what do you recommend?

Thanks

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 8:42 PM

My query is if I connect the drive to the Mac can I open each file one by one, copy each one I want then delete the files that I copy or do not want, or will the Mac only read and copy, not delete?

I read I can also connect by ethernet cable to the PC (not sure if i need direct cable or crossover cable), would that be better? Would that give me the editing ability I want? (i.e. view copy and delete).

As a last question - having had HDD failures in the past - hence the set up on the pc - duplicated on the Mac (I don´t use the Macs internal HDD, files and OS are on the external drive), can I rely on Time Machine to keep my data safe, or would I be safer reformatting one of the other external HDDs and having that as a second backup controlled by a third party software? If so what do you recommend?

Thanks

Yes you can, it will take forever but sure you can do that if you want to.

Use the Ethernet connection, ensure the PC and Mac are on the same network.

Time Machine is one form of backing up your Mac. However when it comes to backing up, redundancy is very very wise, as you mentioned HD's fail and that means backup HD's fail too. Get another EHD, purchase a clone app such as SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner and in addition, created a bootable clone along with using Time Machine. That way if one backup fails (don't laugh, it happens all the time) you have another backup to restore files from.

By the way, remember OS X will read a NTFS HD however it will not natively write to it. So you can copy the files from the NTFS drive to your Mac, however the Mac will not write to it. There are utilities that allow this to work, that being said, IMHO they are unreliable therefore are poor solutions.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2015 8:42 PM in response to Richard Mac User

Thanks

Yes you can, it will take forever but sure you can do that if you want to.

Use the Ethernet connection, ensure the PC and Mac are on the same network.

Time Machine is one form of backing up your Mac. However when it comes to backing up, redundancy is very very wise, as you mentioned HD's fail and that means backup HD's fail too. Get another EHD, purchase a clone app such as SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner and in addition, created a bootable clone along with using Time Machine. That way if one backup fails (don't laugh, it happens all the time) you have another backup to restore files from.

By the way, remember OS X will read a NTFS HD however it will not natively write to it. So you can copy the files from the NTFS drive to your Mac, however the Mac will not write to it. There are utilities that allow this to work, that being said, IMHO they are unreliable therefore are poor solutions.

Oct 6, 2015 2:40 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi rkaufmann87,

Just to update, I am going to take this opportunity to correctly file my data (and destroy old out of date data). I looked at transferring the files one at a time, but as the iMac couldn´t delete the file on the external HDD that would have caused confusion, so I copied all my files to a new folder on the drive I use for the iMac and from there I will cut and paste to the correct folders.

As I now had a spare drive I reformatted that in a Mac friendly way and followed your advice and bought CCC for a bootable backup.

Thanks for your help.

Moving files from PC to Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.