Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very Large Number of Tiny Dead Pixels Down Middle of MacBook Pro 15" Retina

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro Retina 15". In 2013 just as the one year warranty was about to expire, I noticed about 2 dead pixels. I brought it in and they told me the only way to fix it was to replace the whole upper section (screen, glass, etc.) at a cost of $699 CDN plus tax. I managed to fight my way into getting them to replace it for free. (It was NOT easy.)

Now it's 2015 and I have a huge cluster of hundreds of tiny dead pixels that go down in a wave in the middle of my screen that is mostly noticeable on darker screens. I have treated this computer with INCREDIBLE care. It rarely leaves the house and when it does it's padded like you wouldn't believe. So it being mistreated is not the issue here. It only ever sits on my desk.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that I will be forced to pay for this. But before my Genius bar appointment, I was wondering has anyone had the same issue? If so what was your fix or solution?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 15" Screen

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 9:29 PM

13 replies

Sep 20, 2015 4:48 AM in response to roxybeachgirl7

The 'repair' is a replacement. There is no way around that. Whether you get any financial relief is another matter. If you cannot have it done gratis, you might try to see if you can get a 'depot' repair. That is a flat rate charge where nay thing wrong with the unit will be fixed. The last I heard it was $310. It may be different now. It still is better than the prospect of a $600 - $800 charge.

Ciao

Oct 31, 2015 10:53 AM in response to Terence Nguyen

Sorry to hear you are having the same problem. I took it into the Apple store, had them look at it, and they told me it's because I have too many programs running so it's sucking up the graphics card. Which, I don't believe because if I literally have no programs open, it still does it. So I feel a though because I have the very first Apple retina generation, they have flaws.

Jun 15, 2016 6:23 PM in response to roxybeachgirl7

Thank you!!! Thank YOU!! THANK YOU!!

I have several months looking information about this problem. I am from Spain.

I have the same problem.

You've found a real solution?

At least about 150 pixels or more randomly appear on my screen as a wave. The mostly blue and can only be seen when there are dark colors on the screen.

This in a Macbook Pro Retina 15 Late 2013... is impossible to work editing images with a wave of blue pixels cluttering dead.

Jul 6, 2016 6:33 AM in response to aleluacom

So i figured it out. They are not dead or stuck pixel they are retention pixels. If i play longer in white and bright background and move to darker screen. The bright pixel stay bright for a while. Its problem with early retina screen. Mine is 2014 macbook pro but they replaced the screen early on because of multiple dead pixel. I guess they replaced it with early retina panel. Might help.

Very Large Number of Tiny Dead Pixels Down Middle of MacBook Pro 15" Retina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.