Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS9 unread emails

is there a fix that works for emails showing as in my inbox! I downloaded iOS9 and now have over 1000 emails showing on the icon. When I check the individual inboxes there are less than 20 in total. I have marked them all as read, no change. I have an iCloud account, a btconnect account, an exchange account and a gmail account all work fine before iOS9. Reading some of the other posts I have isolated the account that is causing the large volumes of "unread" emails by turning off each account in turn. The btconnect.com account is the problem account.

I Have turned off the iPhone 6, removed account, turned off and on again, re-entered the account and the same issue. Even done the same, turn off, and on again and then removed account again....... Still over 1000!

any workable solutions would be gratefully received.

iPhone 6, iOS 9, Unread emails that are read

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 11:22 PM

13 replies

Sep 20, 2015 5:29 PM in response to robwelf0

I had the same problem with an iPhone 6, 2600 plus unread emails after I upgraded to iOS 9.

I think it has to do with pop mail protocol. I have four different email addresses I use on my iPhone. Three of them are set up using imap protocol, the fourth is pop.

I went to the settings app, scrolled down to mail, contacts, calendars. I set the email account that uses pop to inactive. I then checked my mail and the unread messages were gone.

I am going to delete the email address that is setup with pop and then add it back using imap.

Sep 20, 2015 6:21 PM in response to footeking

I Have seen this as just one of the many bugs on my iPhone 6 Plus. I have restored for a third time from new to try and fix issues and I still have way to many. My recent one was unread emails at 4,294,969,642 .

this has to be one of the worst iOS launches I've encountered and I've been with iPhone since the beginning. Most upgrades have a few issues but nothing like this and especially for the newest phone of the bunch. Hope they fix it soon. Not a happy user. I'm looking to upgrade my iPad but I will definitely wait for the new ones to come out and for all the bugs to be fixed before purchasing.

Text messages I have had the audio memo pop up then freeze and not allow me to exit and send a text. I literally have to reboot to get rid of it.

Sep 23, 2015 3:44 AM in response to moorecheck09

I have four email accounts on my iphone, an exchange account, a gmail account, an icloud account and a pop3 @btconnect.com account. I can have all the accounts on with 500+ emails (showing incorrectly as unread), deactivate the btconnect.com account and the other three are fine (correct number of emails showing as unread), but have the btconnect.com account active with any one, two or three of the other accounts and 500+ emails. Btconnect.com on its own is also fine.

IO9 does not like any combination with the btconnect.com account active. I am far from techy, but this may show somebody where the fault lies (hopefully someone at Apple)

Oct 6, 2015 2:37 PM in response to robwelf0

I had this problem but managed to fix it by going to:-

Settings\Mail, Contacts, Calendars\My mail account\Account\Advanced Settings where I changed Discarded Emails from Deleted Mailbox to Archive Mailbox. I checked that the phantom emails had gone and then changed the setting back to Deleted Mailbox. I hope this works as well for everyone else.

Oct 7, 2015 3:16 AM in response to robwelf0

Hi, I am now up and running and all is OK but cannot offer a full explanation I'm afraid. I had the btconnect.com account switched off and problem solved, urned back on and 1300+. I then went to btconnect.com and marked all unread, as read. This got the inbox down to 235, I then scrolled down and deleted by manually selecting them (all 235!). This still gave me over 100 "phantom" email. I deleted the account and reinstalled the account and "conveniently" Ios 9.0.2 came along. I installed this and everything is fine. This was updated Friday 2/10/2015 and as of today 7/10/2015 everything is OK.

I am sorry I cannot be more specific which what actions actually solved the problem but a combination of removing the account, reinstalling (a few times) and the updated operating system with a few manual email deletions rectified the problem.

This is the first post onto the forum and it has been a good experience. Thanks to all who responded with suggestions.

May 3, 2016 12:47 PM in response to robwelf0

Here is how I just did it. Go to where you have all the email mailboxes, below it will say Accounts. Hit edit, then go to the offending unread mailbox, mine was 1 in the Outlook there will be a BLUE check mark on the left hand side, click it and it will turn off the Outlook box NOT DELETE IT, count to 10 for dramatic affect then turn back on by hitting the little check mark.

My unread count is now 0 and or empty.

This worked for me I hope it will relieve the mental stress it has caused

iOS9 unread emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.