Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 freezing after iOS 9 update

Hi,

i am experiencing something extremely weird. after updating my wife's iPhone 6 the phone would work for a bit but then stop responding completely and freeze. surprisingly my IPhone 6 is working perfectly after the update and both the phones are identical and we use the same Apple ID on both for apps etc. immediate help is needed. The phone works for a bit after restarting and freezes after a while and stops responding. it has become extremely frustrating.

iPhone 6, iOS 9, 64GB

Posted on Sep 20, 2015 12:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2015 12:24 AM

You're not alone. I've been experiencing this problem for the last few days. I can't even use my phone for telephone calls or to even check the time. I have the same phone as you, iPhone 6, 64 GB with the iOS 9 update. I've tried all the different forum recommendations: Restarting phone, using the Reset settings, and restoring my phone completely. Nothing has helped. My phone is currently an expensive paperweight as I cannot do anything on it. I feel like it may be the iOS 9 update that is causing us problems but I don't know how to revert my update to the last one.

84 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2015 12:24 AM in response to Highwaystar79

You're not alone. I've been experiencing this problem for the last few days. I can't even use my phone for telephone calls or to even check the time. I have the same phone as you, iPhone 6, 64 GB with the iOS 9 update. I've tried all the different forum recommendations: Restarting phone, using the Reset settings, and restoring my phone completely. Nothing has helped. My phone is currently an expensive paperweight as I cannot do anything on it. I feel like it may be the iOS 9 update that is causing us problems but I don't know how to revert my update to the last one.

Sep 20, 2015 7:09 AM in response to Rossylux

Huge disappointment. I bought an iPad Air 2 in November 2014 for graduate school, was thrilled with it and have many PDF texts for my studies. My iPad is only using half of its potential storage. I gladly upgraded to iOS9 2 days ago and boy what a mess . My iPad is not responsive to most key strokes, and when it is, it is woefully slow. When I turn off the wi-fi feature, it works fine . But then I can not use the internet for studies. I can use the iPad otherwise for reading ibooks, PDFs on iAnnotate, and more.

It seems that my iPad is connecting with iCloud continually, trying desperately to align my device to Apple's cloud. The only applications on my iPad that synch with iCloud are Calendar, Contacts and Notes. I purposely do NOT use iCloud for anything. I used to use iCloud for my photos but when I disabled that 2 days ago after upgrading to iOS 9, it seemed to work for a few hours. I even turned off Find my iPad feature on iCloud

Now I have a very expensive iPad Air 2 that I will restore to original settings, lose all of my documents, and will upgrade to iOS 9 at a future date if even then.

I trusted Apple. But it is obvious they are more interested in getting all of my personal information onto their iCloud for purposes I can't even venture to guess, none of which are to my favor.

Apple is a greedy, unbridled Capitalism company. Steve Jobs was an unscrupulous CEO and awful character. Tim Cooks, whom I once admired, now see he is no better when it comes to greed and using customers to fill his revenues.

I am no fan of Windows. Hate them. But Apple has lost face big time. Bring back pencil and paper where at least we have total control!

Sep 21, 2015 3:57 AM in response to Highwaystar79

Same story here... iPhone 6 64GB...

Constantly freezing for undetermined periods, sometimes only hard reset helps...

This is obviously no isolated problem... Apple has released beta crap to cope with official presentation dates... this is really not inline with what customers expect !!!!!!!!! If you (Apple) guys wanna be the best, then this sort of glitches should just not occur... this is not about bad luck or undiscovered bugs, it's about weak quality control and/or early publishing...

I spent more than 15 years in software engineering, if you were writing firmware for an aircraft's control system, would you have endorsed the responsibility of giving out that piece of untested software ???????????????? I hope not ... and I hope this is NOT going to become the norm at Apple !!!

Sep 21, 2015 4:45 AM in response to darkstar49

This is ridiculous! The only reason why I am using IPhones is that they are more reliable

then android phones but if this is how apple intends to make IOS updates then isn't it better

to switch to Android. The phone is unusable at this point and my wife is having to use a

spare phone without any of her data. Apple will surely lose loyalists like us if this persists!

Sep 21, 2015 12:03 PM in response to Highwaystar79

I tried to restore my iPad Air 2 but no success. Apple is limiting what we can do for our devices. I could not find the ipsw file on my Mac to restore it that way and install the previous iOS 8.4.1 but no can do. After successfully downloading iOS8 back onto my iPad, iTunes forces it to upgrade to iOD9. If i intervene and stop it, my iPad says it can not operate

I was forced to install iOS9 for a second time and it wiped out all of my content. I lost everything. Thankfully my graduate school books are also on my Mac but it took hours to transfer to iPad via Airdrop

It runs now 50% performance but only because I completely disabled iCloud functionallity.

IT is Apple causing the problem by forcing our devices to connect to their iCloud to gather our data

nOw i hate Apple and Windows is no better

bring back paper and pencil. I am over this technological "advancement" garbage. They want to control us.

I refuse to give them my data.

bite me Apple!

Sep 22, 2015 8:27 AM in response to Highwaystar79

I have the same problem too.

when I do the update for my Iphone 6 plus from last night then go to sleep. till this morning I wake up and check it. then do the setup from beginning it was working for awhile. I think it's normal. but when I setup the address in map start to go to work. it's work ok when I'm still in the house, cause I'm use wifi signal.

But when I'm on traveling driving away out of wifi signal, it's begin to play funny. the map doesn't reroute the tour. I stop the car to check the mobile data is turn on or not. yes it's turn on. then I go to setting to check the mobile data switch for the map in mobile data to see it's on or not. I noted it's was off. so I switch it on then go back to map and see how it's work. but it's still not reroute. Then I go back to setting again double check mobile data. the switch map was off again? I switch it on then go back to setting menu page, then go back into mobile data to double check again. then it's still offff. I do that serverall of time. but it's still oooffff. ( OMG ) I scream. what is going on? but my iphone still work. I can still make a phone call. but the map and mobile data was played up. so I still go to work when I'm near the work place. I call my mate to come and guide me to the address.

After the work, we goes to other job at the other address. while we wait the owner to come. I do the reset all everything in hope it will be working again. but since then, it's freeze until now. I just cant do nothing with it. EVEN I try to back up it to itune. but I cant access to my iphone to respone when itune ask for back up.

What should I do now? please help help help

Sep 22, 2015 10:37 AM in response to Highwaystar79

Same issue here.

I've seemed to restore stability on my 6 plus by starting over as a new phone, shutting down Siri, location, background app refresh and signed out of iCloud. I've also killed all apps running in the background. Phone has been stable for about three hours with no freezing. So hobbling the device seems to be the fix. Later on I'll update after I turn each service back on to see which is the culpriit.

Seriously Apple - you need to get it together. I just had to replace my 6 plus after 8.1.4 turned my phone into a flamethrower, now iOS 9 is doing its best to turn the replacement into a brick. Maybe I'm just frustrated but two crap "upgrades" in a row isn't exactly the sort of thing that's glong to get me to plunk down my hard earned on a new device in the future.

Sep 24, 2015 8:48 AM in response to Highwaystar79

Same problem here. For the last 2 days, I have had fatal freezes where I could not even reboot or turn off the phone for several minutes! Froze up on me 9 times yesterday, and I'm on freeze 4 already today. Setting it to airplane mode helped, but then it's not much good as a phone! There is a new 9.0.1 patch that came out today, but it does NOT address the freezing issue.

Sep 24, 2015 9:29 AM in response to Highwaystar79

For me this only has started to happen after installing iOS 9.0.1 on my iPhone 6 (64GB) - the screen freezes after receiving an iMessage. I can still get to the slide-to-power-off screen and also Touch ID keeps working, but apart from that the screen doesn't react. All I can do is using the home and lock buttons to restart my iPhone completely.

Sep 24, 2015 9:54 PM in response to Tmitch1390

UPDATE:

Seems so far that turning off Siri has stopped the freezing issue.

After turning every service back on the phone began freezing a day after. First thing I stopped this time was Siri. Upon stopping Siri the phone began responding smoothly just like every iPhone I've owned since 2008.

I'll update again as I've just upgraded to iOS 9.0.1.

Hopefully I'll have happier news.

Sep 25, 2015 1:34 AM in response to Highwaystar79

Problems solved.

my iPhone 6 has no more issues.

my iPad Air 2 has no more issues - but I lost all of my books and notes on iAnnotate. I had to manually transfer all of my PDF textbooks from my Mac Book Pro using Air Drop which did not have any of the edits from reading/studying these on my iPad these past 6 months. Very disappointing.

Here is how I resolved everything:

In General Settings:

turned off "Handoff and Suggested Apps"

turned off "iTunes Wi-Fi Sync"

In Privacy:

turned off "Location Services"

in iCloud:

Turned off "iCloud Drive"

Turned off "Photos"

Turned off "Backup"

Turned off "Keychain"

Turned off "Find my iPad"

I left on: "Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Safari and Notes"

in App & iTunes Stores:

Turned off "Automatic Downloads" for everything

in "News" App: Off

In essence, I had to tell my iPad to stop connecting and searching for Apple's iCloud features that are supposedly built to "help me", but in actuality are meant for Apple to collect my data to sell and market to me. Just like Windows, they are not happy we bought their devices: they want more of our money. Greedy buggers.

my iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2 do everything manually via USB Cable when I feel like doing them and only when I push them. I am in control of my devices again, the ones I shelled out mucho bucks. They are my devices, Apple. I bought them. Keep your paws off of them

iPhone 6 freezing after iOS 9 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.