Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad IOS 9 SEARCH Email issue

RE: IPAD

Does anyone know when using the "search" email box using IOS 9, WHY it no longer populates EMAILS, but only finds contacts? When you select from the list, it moves the selection to the "search" box & no message is displayed.

i Use the search box to clean out old mail by name. Now it doesn't populate.

Are there mail settings which need to be changed? Or is this a software issue for everyone?

iPad, iOS 9, Using search box

Posted on Sep 20, 2015 2:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2015 11:30 AM

I'm having the same issue.

Search only returns contacts and subject.

Outlook app has much better search capabilities!

40 replies

Sep 21, 2015 3:54 PM in response to Bethslp

Same problem here, on both my iPhone 5 and iPad Air 2. Found out if I wait long enough it will pull up some emails, but they are from 2010. Nothing more recent. If I use Spotlight search it will find more recent emails, but not all of them, and it displays them in a random order. They are not chronlogical or in any order I can discern.

Sep 22, 2015 5:50 AM in response to Bethslp

Same here. Only SOMEtimes after struggling for quite a while, SOME email with a certain word is found.
Usually the search simply doesn't DO anything - the progress bar sits at 10%, no spinner trundling - just NOTHING.

I need to search email a dozen times a week. I do NOT need to seach the settings for a certain option (that they introduced THAT speaks for itself, I'd say ...) ... man, Apple, you have REALLY screwed it up. Stop looking what more features you can add - there's not much left anyway. Stop changing things that used to work to something that' a pain to use, like the new task switcher, silly "collections" everywhere, like in music player - I DON'T NEED THAT, so give me the option to turn it OFF / hide it - or even better, leave it out, so my iPhone 4s doesn't become as useful as a brick. Waiting for an app to start for up to 15 seconds IS almost useless to me.

Sheesh ... I'm pi**ed.

Sep 22, 2015 12:15 PM in response to pheb62

I Am having slow connectivity & website crashes also:.

Just found a way to revert to ios8.4.1 , which is still available to do, but not for long.

must backup data first because it reverts to default settings.

do it through iTunes. It works better

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/09/16/how-to-downgrade-to-ios-8-from-ios-9/

https://ipsw.me/8.4.1

Original article with links:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/09/16/ios-9-problems-5-things-you-need-to-know /

Sep 22, 2015 3:30 PM in response to Bethslp

And I found the fix! It was driving me nuts. In iOS 8 and earlier, searching a term simply resulted in emails containing the term.

iOS 9 didn't eliminate this feature, it only hides it behind one extra step.

For example, if I search the term "Itunes" in my mailboxes, the results come in three categories:

• Search for "iTunes"
  • People (lists people with the name iTunes in the contact info)
  • Subjects (emails with iTunes in the subject line)

User uploaded file

I completely overlooked the first category "Search for "iTunes"" and scrolled down only to find people and subjects. However, if you TOUCH "Search for "iTunes"" then emails containing "iTunes" show up just like iOS 8 and earlier.

ipad IOS 9 SEARCH Email issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.