Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch ping not working

I've upgraded an iPhone 6 to iOS 9 and ever since the Apple Watch running 1.0.1 doesn't ping the phone.

Ive re-paired the two but still no joy.

anyone seen this or know what's wrong ?

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 20, 2015 4:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2015 5:22 AM

Try resetting the network settings on your iPhone (you will need to re-establish any Wi-Fi connections afterwards, if configured):

- Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Then restart both your iPhone and Apple Watch:

- To restart Apple Watch: Press and hold the side button until you see the Power Off slider; Drag the slider to turn off completely; Afterwards, press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2015 5:22 AM in response to Tgosai

Try resetting the network settings on your iPhone (you will need to re-establish any Wi-Fi connections afterwards, if configured):

- Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Then restart both your iPhone and Apple Watch:

- To restart Apple Watch: Press and hold the side button until you see the Power Off slider; Drag the slider to turn off completely; Afterwards, press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo.

Oct 10, 2015 8:57 AM in response to Jonathan UK

That solution is only working for the moment. After some hours/days the problem is unfortunatelly back.

It is very sad, that the apple devices are no longer working by itself. That was the greatest benefit in past compared to microsoft or android...

Why Apple can not solve problems anymore without creating 10 new problems? Apple devices are very expensive and i dont want to be a free beta-tester for cupertino... For me that is not what "think different" means...

Oct 16, 2015 8:00 PM in response to Tgosai

I have had this problem since I upgraded my iPhone 6 to iOS 9, and my watch to 2.0. I filed a bug report on this too.

I have done resets and restarts and the problem goes away for a while and then resurfaces. If I send a message or an email from my phone and then I try to ping, then it works for a little while. But the issue is, if you can't find your phone, and you're not sure if ping is working, then ping is useless. If you must have your iPhone, and must reset/rest the pair, then what use is ping?

So I no longer consider ping a feature at all of the new apple watch.

I thank Jonathan for his suggestion.

Since ping really doesn't work anymore, and I only get about 80% of my texts on the watch (even when the phone is next to me), I agree with otti, I paid too much to be a beta tester.

Makes me think about the reliability of rumored Apple car......

Watch ping not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.