Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop system services from using Mobila Data IOS9

I updated my 5S to IOS 9 a couple of days ago. But ever since then it has just absolutely devoured my data plan and its made lte absolutely useless for me. I only pay for 500mb a week on LTE and it was completely sufficient before the update. But I tested turning on mobile data and leaving my phone idle and the General in System Services had used up 100mb in just 20 minutes. I turned off location services in privacy. Turned off wifi assist and disabled mobile data for all appstore updates and all other apps except facebook and whatsapp which I primarily use on LTE. Is their any way to stop system services from downloading that data in the background

iPhone 5s, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 20, 2015 5:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 1:12 AM

Here is how you can disable it:

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > scroll all the way down to the bottom > System Services

10 replies

Sep 29, 2015 2:42 AM in response to Nabeel95

All these answers are somewhat useful. But to conclude,

There is no option to turn off System Services itself. System Services has it's own section because you need it. As soon as you swipe down notification center, geoforce is used, weather data, all these services will use internet. Also, push notifications will too. It will use data, but only use an average of 2mb a day, which is not very big if you are on a standardised 1gb plan. If your plan is too small, try upgrading by going to your carrier's website.

Sep 29, 2015 2:45 AM in response to Aerosmith999

That is not the problem. I checked all the apps and all the apps that used data were acceptable.

All exept mobile data -->System services --> General. This uses A LOT of mobile data and i have no idea what it is. It is not app updates, ios updates, facetime, messeges, email, mapping service, media services, game center or what so ever since these (and a lot more) are all seperately specified.

So the question is why does system services - general need this amount of mobile data, what does it do, where do i need it for and how can this be turned of?

Sep 29, 2015 2:48 AM in response to Razororange

@Razororange, i have a 2GB/month data plan. Never in the last years have i ever used 2GB. Only last month since the update to iOS9 i went over the limit 1,5 week before the month is over.

It is not the problem with my data plan. Something uses way to much mobile data.

In just a few days (i did a reset of my counters) the System services ->general used 188MB of mobile data.

Sep 29, 2015 2:54 AM in response to Blazez

System Services provides a wide range of essential services for your phone to be functioned properly.

One major data consumer in System Services is Mapping Services, try turning Location Services off, this will save you battery and data.

Another is Find my iPhone, if you do not use this, you can disable it from the iCloud settings. As I mentioned earlier, there is no toggle to switch it off completely, but there are some options you can do to minimise your data usage.

How do I stop system services from using Mobila Data IOS9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.